About this infection
Chrome-tab.com is a fake search engine and a browser hijacker. It’s one of those minor, but highly intrusive infections that will change your browser’s settings to display its promoted website as your homepage/new tabs. Your new homepage will display a fake search engine, which will not generate any results if you search for something. Usually, browser hijackers use those search engines to redirect users to websites, whose owners employ the hijackers to generate them traffic, which earns them revenue. In some cases, users could even end up on dangerous websites, where they could pick up some kind of malware infection. This hijacker, however, shouldn’t be able to redirect you. It will not harm your computer but it will collect information about you, including personal, and later share it with dubious third-parties. However, it should not be referred to as a virus because it’s more of a potentially unwanted program than a serious malware infection. Nevertheless, you still need to remove Chrome-tab.com.
You likely obtained the hijacker when you were installing freeware, as it was attached in a way that allows it to install alongside the program. This is referred to as the bundling method. You can easily prevent these unwanted installations, if you actually pay attention to how you install programs.
How do hijackers spread?
If you can’t remember setting the site as your homepage, the hijacker likely entered via freeware bundles. It was attached as an additional offer, which you could have chosen to deselect had you paid attention to the program’s installation. Next time you install a program, make sure you use Advanced (Custom) settings and read the information provided during the setup. Advanced will give you the option of deselecting all additional offers, and they will be prevented from installing. Default settings do not give that option, which is why you probably ended up with the hijacker in the first place. After you deselect all the offers, you can safely install the program.
Why delete Chrome-tab.com?
You will notice a hijacker infection as soon as it enters your computer because of the changes done to your browser. Your Google Chrome browser will have new homepages/new tabs, which were changed without your explicit permission. They will also be irreversible unless you first get rid of the hijacker. The website has a photo background, links to popular websites, such as Facebook, YouTube, booking.com, etc. It will also display the local weather and time. Additionally, it provides a search engine. If you try to use it, nothing will happen. No results will appear no matter how many times you press ‘search’. Seeing as it is a useless search engine, no need to keep it, especially if you didn’t even choose to set it as your homepage.
To be able to uninstall Chrome-tab.com fully, you may need to obtain anti-spyware software. The hijacker can be tricky to find manually, thus the process can be time-consuming. However, if you would prefer to stick to manual elimination but are not sure where to begin, you can use the below provided instructions to help you. If you are able to change your browser’s settings back to normal, the hijacker was eliminated successfully.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Chrome-tab.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Chrome-tab.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Chrome-tab.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Chrome-tab.com and related programs.
Remove Chrome-tab.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Chrome-tab.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Chrome-tab.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Chrome-tab.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Chrome-tab.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Chrome-tab.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Chrome-tab.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Chrome-tab.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Chrome-tab.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Chrome-tab.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.