About this threat
Mystartshield.com is a questionable website that is promoted by a browser hijacker. It will suddenly start loading instead of your usual homepage and you might be confused about what is happening. The hijacker that is installed on your system will make the website your homepage so that you could be redirected to sponsored websites.
This quite typical for a browser hijacker so if you have encountered one before, the whole thing will be familiar. It’s not a malicious infection, if that’s what you are worried about, but you should make sure to get rid of it as soon as possible. You might consider keeping it but think about how you installed it. If you cannot remember, it’s likely that the hijacker was attached to freeware as an additional offer and you did not pay enough attention to notice. The hijacker will bring nothing good, so just remove Mystartshield.com.
How does the hijacker infect computers?
It uses quite a simple and known method to spread but many users still end up with it. It is attached to freeware as extra offer and all you really need to do is deselect it. This can be done in Advanced (Custom) settings when installing freeware. Access those settings and you should be able to deselect every single added offer. Refrain from using Default settings because you will not be able to uncheck anything, and it will lead to unwanted installations. If you want to avoid having to spend time trying to uninstall Mystartshield.com or similar infections, make sure you always deselect all unwanted offers.
Why delete Mystartshield.com?
When the hijacker installs, it will make unwanted changes to your browser, without your permission. It will take over all popular browsers you have installed, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox so switching to another browser will not solve the problem. All those browsers will have the promoted site set as homepage. And you can try to reverse the changes all you want, the hijacker will just overrule everything you alter. Only after you remove Mystartshield.com can you modify anything. Your new homepage will present a search engine that supposedly allows you to search safely and find better results. If you were to use it, you would be taken to MyStart Shield Yahoo search, which could be inserting sponsored content into the results so that it could redirect you. Those redirects will lead to advertisement or sometimes even malicious sites, where you could encounter malware. If you are not careful, you will end up with a much more serious infection.
The hijacker can be gotten rid of in two ways. If you choose manual Mystartshield.com removal, you can follow our provided instructions to help you but ultimately, you will have to find the hijacker yourself. We would recommend you delete Mystartshield.com using anti-spyware software because the program would take care of everything.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Mystartshield.com virusUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Mystartshield.com virus. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like Mystartshield.com virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Mystartshield.com virus and related programs.
Remove Mystartshield.com virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Mystartshield.com virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Mystartshield.com virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Mystartshield.com virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Mystartshield.com virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Mystartshield.com virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Mystartshield.com virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Mystartshield.com virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Mystartshield.com virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Mystartshield.com virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.