Blootab is a dubious Google Chrome extension that allows you to change the appearance of your homepage. It can also be considered to be a potentially unwanted program (PUP) and a browser hijacker. For one, it uses a questionable method to infiltrate computers and while it’s not exactly malicious, it still is highly questionable. If you do not remember installing the extension itself, it was probably attached to free software as an extra item. If you fail to deselect those items, you will be essentially allowing all of them to install. The PUP itself is not malicious, but it would not be surprising if it somehow managed to expose you to unsafe content. We suggest you remove Blootab as soon as you notice it.
How does Blootab spread?
Most PUPs spread using free software bundles and that means you end up installing them yourself. If you want to stop those unwanted installations, you need to pay attention to how you install free programs and always use Advanced or Custom settings. Only in those settings will you be able to see what has been added. If you rush through the installations in Default settings, you will end up missing all kinds of unwanted programs and will have to delete Blootab and similar over and over again.
Why uninstall Blootab?
The extension currently only works for Google Chrome but that may change in the future. It allows you to customise your homepage but it also makes other changest. If you did not choose to install the PUP yourself, the changes will surprise you because you might not be asked for permission. Your homepage, new tabs and search engine will be changed and you will be unable to alter those settings, unless you first remove Blootab from the computer. We do not recommend putting up with the changes because they could bring you trouble. Search engines provided by bowser hijackers often insert sponsored content into the results so that users could be redirected. Hijackers generate traffic for those sites, which means that the owners make money. In rare cases, users could even be exposed to malicious content and accidentally install some kind of malware. A malware infection would be a much more serious issue to deal with compared to a PUP or a hijacker, so keep that in mind if you choose to not delete Blootab.
If you choose to uninstall Blootab, you have two ways to do it. If you want to erase Blootab quickly, use professional removal software. The security software will take care of everything and you will just have to allow it to erase Blootab. If you go with manual Blootab removal, you will have to do everything yourself, including finding where the PUP is hiding.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove BlootabUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Blootab. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Blootab and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Blootab and related programs.
Remove Blootab from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Blootab from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Blootab from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Blootab from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Blootab or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Blootab from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Blootab from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Blootab from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Blootab from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Blootab and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.