FairWare is a ransomware type of virus that targets Linux OS users. FairWare has some features that makes it stand out in the already huge number of ransomware. For one, it apparently does not encrypt your files. Instead, it stores them in a remote server and you can not access them. When the computer is infected, users will find a note that asks them to pay 2 BTC (1 BTC is around $600) if they want to get their files back.
We always advise against victims paying, as paying the ransom is rarely effective. They will most likely just take your money and ignore you. FairWare might spread via spam emails but there has been reports about it installing via hacked Redis servers. Sadly, there’s little chance you will get your files back as they are not encrypted, they are removed from your computer. While file loss is dreadful, we suggest you focus on FairWare ransomware removal.
How did FairWare ransomware infect my computer
Most ransomware spreads via spam emails. This is the most popular way to spread this kind of virus because people still have the habit of opening spam emails. Some spam emails come with infected attachments and once you download it, it starts to do what it does best, kidnap your files. FairWare might spread much the same way. There have been reports, however, that FairWare is installed using hacked Redis servers.
What does FairWare ransomware do?
FairWare targets Linux users who run websites. Victims notice that their websites are not running and when they check the web folder, they notice that the files in it are gone. Supposedly, it takes those files and stores them in a remote server. When the process is complete, the user will notice a READ_ME.txt file in the /root/ folder. The file contains instructions on how to pay and supposedly get the files back. Hackers seem to mock the victim, saying that victims should not email them with ‘stupid’ questions like “Can I see files first”, they also claim to be business people that will treat you well if you follow their demands. We don’t suggest you do. We suggest you remove FairWare ransomware as soon as possible as the virus could have deleted the files without storing them anywhere. That means that even if you pay, you might be just wasting money. Criminals very rarely restore the files, and there’s little chance these hackers are different. Instead of paying them, you should invest in back up so this does not happen again. And don’t forget that you must delete FairWare.
FairWare ransomware removal
In order to delete FairWare ransomware, you need to use anti-malware software. Manual removal could do more damage than good, therefore, we recommend you invest in a decent antivirus program, if you have not already done so. Using anti-malware software is not difficult and it will easily remove FairWare ransomware from your computer. Instructions on how to get rid of FairWare ransomware will be provided below.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove FairWareUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall FairWare. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like FairWare and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Delete FairWare using Safe Mode with Networking.
Remove FairWare from Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows XP
- Click on Start and select Shutdown.
- Choose Restart and click OK.
- Start tapping F8 when your PC starts loading.
- Under Advanced Boot Options, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
- Open your browser and download the anti-malware utility.
- Use the utility to remove FairWare
Remove FairWare from Windows 8/Windows 10
- On the Windows login screen, press the Power button.
- Tap and hold Shift and select Restart.
- Go to Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Start Settings.
- Choose Enable Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking under Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- Open your web browser and download the malware remover.
- Use the software to delete FairWare
Step 2. Restore Your Files using System Restore
Delete FairWare from Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows XP
- Click Start and choose Shutdown.
- Select Restart and OK
- When your PC starts loading, press F8 repeatedly to open Advanced Boot Options
- Choose Command Prompt from the list.
- Type in cd restore and tap Enter.
- Type in rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- Click Next in the new window and select the restore point prior to the infection.
- Click Next again and click Yes to begin the system restore.
Delete FairWare from Windows 8/Windows 10
- Click the Power button on the Windows login screen.
- Press and hold Shift and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot and go to Advanced options.
- Select Command Prompt and click Restart.
- In Command Prompt, input cd restore and tap Enter.
- Type in rstrui.exe and tap Enter again.
- Click Next in the new System Restore window.
- Choose the restore point prior to the infection.
- Click Next and then click Yes to restore your system.