Locky Ransomware Removal Tips (Uninstall Locky Ransomware)
Locky Ransomware is a malign infection that can infiltrate your PC without your notice. It is referred to as “ransomware”, because it is aimed at extorting money from you by encrypting your data and claiming that the only way to get it back is by paying a specific amount of money for it.
The parasite spreads online using a variety of deceitful tactics like spam emails with malicious attachments, corrupted pages, fake ads and links, infected freeware bundles, and more. It does not matter which Windows version you use, because the infection affects all of them. If you have this harmful program on your computer, we advise that you terminate Locky Ransomware as soon as you possibly can.
As it has already been mentioned, it is possible to infect your computer without even realizing it. That is especially true, if you do not have a reliable malware prevention tool installed on it. When you browse the Web, you may encounter fake ads or corrupted links, clicking on which could reroute you to unsafe pages. Downloading software from these pages or simply visiting them could lead to malware infections. That is why it is so important to stay alert while surfing online. You should always be careful with the ads and links that you click on, the pages you visit, and above all the programs and files that you download onto your PC.
How does Locky Ransomware work?
Locky Ransomware is similar to other infections that belong to the same category like CryptoWall, Critroni, Chimera, Cryptobit, and some others. The parasite slithers into your computer disguised as a reliable file and one it gets installed, it scans all of your drives and network shares for data files. Once it detects them, it uses the AES encryption algorithm to corrupt these files. The list of affected files includes your documents, photos, videos, databases, and more. After the malware is done with the encryption, it changes your wallpaper to an image containing the ransom note. This note also appears on your screen when you open your default browser.
The message states that your data has been encrypted and that in order to decrypt your files, you will have to purchase a private key and a decrypt program. The instructions also explain how you can do that. The sum of the so-called ransom is usually 0.5 Bitcoins, which is about $225 at the moment. There is no way for you to be sure that paying this money will actually result in anything useful. That is why we do not recommend doing that. Instead, you should eliminate Locky Ransomware from your PC without hesitation and try other ways of recovering your data.
How to remove Locky Ransomware?
There are several methods you can try using in order to decrypt your files, however, before you do, you have to delete Locky Ransomware. You can complete Locky Ransomware removal by implementing a powerful anti-malware utility presented on our page. If you download and install the software, it will scan your computer, detect all malign components of the threat, and remove Locky Ransomware in its entirety. It will also eliminate other unwanted files and programs that may be present in your system and keep it shielded from various Internet-based parasites you may encounter in the future. After you delete Locky Ransomware, you can try restoring your files from backup, using the Shadow Volume Copies feature, or implementing one of the file recovery tools available online.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Locky RansomwareUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Locky Ransomware. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Locky Ransomware and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Locky Ransomware and related programs.
Remove Locky Ransomware from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Locky Ransomware from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Locky Ransomware from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Locky Ransomware from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Locky Ransomware or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Locky Ransomware from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Locky Ransomware from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Locky Ransomware from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Locky Ransomware from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Locky Ransomware and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.