What is Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus?
Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus refers to a tech-support scam that claims your computer has been blocked. According to the pop-up, you need to call the provided number in order to unlock the computer. It is very clearly a scam, one that has a version for Mac computers as well. They are basically identical, with Windows changed to Apple.
The scams aim to trick people into calling fake tech-support, where scammers would provide useless support, install questionable programs and then demand money for the service. Such pop-up alerts about viruses and blocked computers are incredibly common, with countless variations (Internet Security Alert Scam, Microsoft Help Desk Tech support scam). They are all equally fake, no matter how legitimate they may seem. Microsoft (nor Apple) do not block computers because of viruses, nor do they care if your computer is infected. They will never ask that you call them by warning you about a virus. You have to realize yourself when you actually need tech-support.
When you encounter such a pop-up, we do not suggest interacting with it. Clicking on something could prompt a malicious download. This particular scam pop-up may also ask that you download some files, but you should never agree to this. You’d end up downloading some malicious program as a result.
There are two reasons on why you might see the pop-ups, either you were redirected when visiting questionable websites or you have adware installed. If it’s the former, you don’t need to worry since the pop-up should not reappear if you close it. However, if you are dealing with adware, you will need to get rid of it in order to remove Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus pop-ups.
Adware distribution methods
Adware is very often spread using the bundling method. It is attached to freeware as an extra offer, which is permitted to install alongside the freeware. Those offers are set to install by default and are made hidden so that they are more difficult to detect. This is why so many users end up with adware and other infections without realizing. In order to prevent unwanted installations via the bundling method, you need to pay attention to how you install programs. During the process, use Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Doing that is highly important because the offers will only be visible in those settings. Advanced settings will also give you the option of deselecting everything. Simply unchecking the boxes is enough to prevent the unwanted offers from installing. After you have deselected everything, you can continue installing the program.
Are these Windows alerts ever legitimate?
You will be redirected no matter which browser you may be using, whether it’s Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Those redirects can be difficult to close in efforts to make it seem more real, but if you cannot close the tab, simply force close your browsers. Access Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt+ Del) and end the browser’s process. And no matter how legitimate the pop-up may seem, remember that it will never be real.
These kinds of scams target more gullible users so they can appear quite ridiculous to most tech-savvy people. The scams often claim that Windows (or Apple) has blocked the computer because of a virus infection, or because of issues with the registration key. The reasons such pop-ups give for the supposed blocking do not make any sense. Microsoft cannot (nor does it try) keep up with all users using their operating system, so they do not go around blocking computers. Microsoft also does not request that users call their tech-support by showing a pop-up in your browser. This goes for all legitimate companies as well. Therefore, all alerts with phone numbers are scams.
The provided phone numbers connect to professional scammers, who would try to convince you that there is something wrong with your device. They would offer to fix everything if you were to provide remote access to your computer. Legitimate tech-support request remote access as well because fixing a computer is easier this way. However, by providing remote access, you are essentially allowing someone to take control of your computer, until you cancel the session. Thus, it is important that you only allow trusted parties to connect. Once connected to your computer, scammers would install questionable software and then claim to have fixed your device. You would be requested to pay a lot of money for the provided ‘services’. Sometimes, scammers request that users give away their bank information as well. Giving any kind of information to scammers is very dangerous because it could be used to steal your money. If you have given your bank information to them, contact your bank immediately.
Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus removal
In order to stop the pop-up from appearing, you will need to delete Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus adware from your device. This can be done in two ways, manually or automatically. If you go with manual elimination, it may take longer. You can find instructions for manual elimination below this article. An easier way to uninstall Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus would be to use anti-spyware software since it would do everything for you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Microsoft Security Tollfree VirusUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus and related programs.
Remove Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Microsoft Security Tollfree Virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.