Search.protectedio.com Removal Guide (Uninstall Search.protectedio.com)
If your home page has been switched to Search.protectedio.com, it means that you have an ad-supported application in your system. The adware is called ProtectediO and it is promoted at protectedio.com. On its official site, the software is described as a tool that will protect your computer from Trojans, viruses and identity theft.
This may seem like a great offer, however, you should know that the software also causes various changes that you may not be comfortable with. In addition to altering your home page, it also floods you with commercial data. If you want to eliminate Search.protectedio.com from your browser, you will have to uninstall ProtectediO as well.
How does Search.protectedio.com work?
Once the adware gets installed, it alters your browser settings. The application only affects Internet Explorer. Your home page gets switched to Search.protectedio.com. The website contains a search box, which shows you original search results, if you enter a query into it. However, you should be careful with these results as they may include sponsored links. You should also be aware of the fact that the so-called search engine uses tracking cookies. This means that your every search is recorded and used to personalize the ads you see online. If you are not satisfied with these changes, you should delete Search.protectedio.com.
As it has already been mentioned, ProtectediO has an official site and it can be downloaded from it. However, it also travels bundled with freeware and shareware. You may not have noticed installing the application at all. Ad-supported programs are often presented as optional offers in the installation wizards. If you do not decline these offers, you allow the adware to enter your system. This can be avoided by choosing Advanced installation mode and deselecting all unfamiliar applications. You should do that next time you install freeware. As for right now, we suggest that you focus on how to remove Search.protectedio.com.
How to remove Search.protectedio.com?
If you want to delete Search.protectedio.com from your browser, you will have to uninstall ProtectediO and change your home page. You can do that manually by following the removal instructions presented below the article. A more reliable solution, however, would be to go with automatic Search.protectedio.com removal instead. Implement the anti-malware tool provided on our site and let it scan your system. The utility will detect all of your computer’s issues and erase Search.protectedio.com along with them. It will also protect you from future infections you may encounter while surfing the Web.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Search.protectedio.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Search.protectedio.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Search.protectedio.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Step 1. Uninstall Search.protectedio.com and related programs.
Remove Search.protectedio.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Search.protectedio.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Search.protectedio.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Search.protectedio.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Search.protectedio.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Search.protectedio.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Search.protectedio.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Search.protectedio.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Search.protectedio.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Search.protectedio.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.