searchsecretly.net is a browser hijacker, promoting a dubious search engine. If you have never encountered a hijacker before, you might become alarmed when you open your browser and see searchsecretly.net instead of your usual homepage but there is no need to worry too much. A browser hijacker is not a malicious virus and does not aim to harm your computer. The main purpose of a browser hijacker is to redirect users to sponsored web pages so that they can generate income.
This can become highly irritating as the redirects will lead to random pages. Some of them might also be malware-ridden. Hijackers infect computers when users install free software without paying attention. They are attached to freeware in a way that allows them to install if they go unnoticed. The hijacker will not provide you anything of value so we recommend that you delete searchsecretly.net.
How does searchsecretly.net spread?
All browser hijackers spread the same way and that is via free software. No one would willingly install these kinds of unwanted items so they are attached to freeware. They are set to install alongside the software but there are ways to prevent this. In order to do this, you should always use Advanced (Custom) settings because there you will be able to deselect what has been added. If there is anything, all you have to do is uncheck the boxes. You can then proceed to install the freeware safely. You need to always pay attention to how you install programs because who knows what might be attached to the one you are installing. You should also uninstall searchsecretly.net now that you know how it managed to enter your computer.
Why remove searchsecretly.net?
The hijacker will take over all leading browsers installed on your computer and that includes Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. searchsecretly.net will become your homepage and new tabs but you will not be asked to permit these changes. You will also not be able to undo them unless you first delete searchsecretly.net. The search engine provided is advertised as a secure but that might not be the case. When you type in a search query, you will be taken to MyStart Shield Yahoo Search and might be exposed to sponsored content. After all, hijackers aim to lead you to as many sponsored pages as possible because that is how they make income. This is not only annoying but can also be dangerous as you could be led to malicious pages and end up with malware on your computer. You should uninstall searchsecretly.net if you care to protect your computer.
In order to fully remove searchsecretly.net, you might need to obtain professional removal software. Manual searchsecretly.net removal software is possible but you will have to locate the hijacker yourself and that might be tricky as it is hidden. The removal program would be able to locate and erase searchsecretly.net without much issues and you would not need to do anything.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Searchsecretly.netUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Searchsecretly.net. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Searchsecretly.net and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Searchsecretly.net and related programs.
Remove Searchsecretly.net from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Searchsecretly.net from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Searchsecretly.net from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Searchsecretly.net from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Searchsecretly.net or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Searchsecretly.net from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Searchsecretly.net from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Searchsecretly.net from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Searchsecretly.net from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Searchsecretly.net and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.