What is Softonicstart.com?
Softonicstart.com is a browser hijacker that may suddenly appear on your browser. When you open your browser and see that Softonicstart.com has been set as your homepage, you might believe that malware has infected your computer but that is not the case. A browser hijacker is not considered to be a virus and it does not aim to damage your computer.
Usually, the main purpose of a hijacker is to redirect users to sponsored web pages so that it can make income for them. As you have probably noticed, your browser’s settings will also be changed and you will be stuck with a new homepage. If you are wondering how you managed to get infected, you installed Softonicstart.com yourself. It was attached to free software that you installed, and if you missed it being attached, it was allowed to install. It will bring nothing good to your computer, so we suggest you uninstall Softonicstart.com at once.
How does Softonicstart.com spread?
Browser hijackers are attached to free software in a way that permits them to install alongside. They are set to install so you need to manually deselect them during freeware installation. Use Advanced or Custom settings and you will see added items. Uncheck the boxes of those added items and you will be able to continue the freeware installation process. Do not rush through the process because that is why you are stuck having to remove Softonicstart.com in the first place.
Why delete Softonicstart.com?
Softonicstart.com will take over all your major browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and set a different homepage. These changes will be made without your permission and you will not be able to undo them. Every time you open your browser, you will be redirected to Softonicstart.com and then to new.startnow.com and this will carry on until you remove Softonicstart.com hijacker. There will be a search box in the middle of the screen and various links to pages like Facebook, YouTube, CNN, etc. If you try to search for something, you will be taken to Yahoo so Softonicstart.com does not really provide anything useful. You can just go to Yahoo directly. It is possible that this hijacker is tracking your browsing sessions and making note of your browsing habits. That information could then be sold to third parties who would use it to make targeted ads. You should not trust this hijacker, after all, it did enter your computer without your explicit permission. Uninstall Softonicstart.com.
If you want to fully delete Softonicstart.com, you might need to obtain professional removal software. If you allow the program to take care of Softonicstart.com removal, you would not need to do anything. You can also erase Softonicstart.com manually but that means you will have to locate the hijacker yourself and that may be tricky as the hijacker is hidden. Whichever way you pick, make sure you eliminate Softonicstart.com fully so that it cannot renew itself again.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Softonicstart.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Softonicstart.com. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like Softonicstart.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Softonicstart.com and related programs.
Remove Softonicstart.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Softonicstart.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Softonicstart.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Softonicstart.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Softonicstart.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Softonicstart.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Softonicstart.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Softonicstart.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Softonicstart.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Softonicstart.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.