About this infection
TheGameSearcher is a questionable browser extension that can hijack your browser. Considered to be a potentially unwanted program (PUP). It’s advertised as a useful add-on that will help you find various games but all it will do it try to make income from advertisements, with which you will be bombarded with.
Your browser’s settings will be changed, you will have a different search engine and you will be regularly redirected to sponsored sites. The extension was probably installed without you noticing, along with some program you recently installed. It’s referred to as the bundling method. While PUPs are usually not malicious, they can sometimes lead to serious malware, so keeping one is not recommended. Delete TheGameSearcher extension before it can cause even more unwanted outcomes, and instead visit real gamers sites as mycsgoboosting.com where you can get real benefits for your csgo games and others.
How does the PUP install?
These kinds of PUP are usually added to free software as extra items. They are not obligatory and you can prevent their installation pretty easily. However, the reason why so many users end up with them is because those added items are hidden. In order to see them you need to choose Advanced or Custom settings. In those settings, uncheck every single added item that appears there. If they did not properly inform you about their installation, they do not belong on your computer. Make sure to always uncheck everything, and you will not need to remove TheGameSearcher extension or similar again.
Why uninstall TheGameSearcher extension?
The extension supposedly allows you to search for games but it merely aims to make money. It will attach itself to your Google Chrome browser, change its settings and then try to redirect you to sponsored sites in order to make money. These changes are performed without your permission and are irreversible unless you first delete TheGameSearcher extension, which you will probably want to do anyway. Until then, every search your carry out, whether it’s via browser address bar or search engine, will go through feed.thegamesearcher.com to search.yahoo.com. You may encounter sponsored content in the results and do not be surprised if you start seeing advertisements everywhere. Engaging with the content it provides is not recommended because PUPs are sometimes able to lead users to malicious sites malware could be lurking. The extension may also be able to track your browsing, collecting information about you and your browsing habits. That data could be shared with questionable third-parties, and we doubt you want that happening. Thus, you should remove TheGameSearcher extension.
TheGameSearcher extension removal
It may be difficult to uninstall TheGameSearcher extension manually because the extension could be hidden. If you struggle with finding it, employ anti-spyware software and have it take care of TheGameSearcher extension removal.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove TheGameSearcher ExtensionUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall TheGameSearcher Extension. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like TheGameSearcher Extension and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall TheGameSearcher Extension and related programs.
Remove TheGameSearcher Extension from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall TheGameSearcher Extension from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete TheGameSearcher Extension from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove TheGameSearcher Extension from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for TheGameSearcher Extension or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete TheGameSearcher Extension from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase TheGameSearcher Extension from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove TheGameSearcher Extension from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall TheGameSearcher Extension from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable TheGameSearcher Extension and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.