What is causing the redirects?
xVidly is a potentially unwanted program (PUP), advertised as a download manager. It’s one of those programs that is promoted as a useful tool but conceals its true purpose of making revenue by exposing you to advertisements and redirecting you. The biggest issue with this program is that it can install via freeware bundles, which means users may not necessarily be aware of the installation. It may have been attached to some freeware that you installed, and because you did not deselect it, it was allowed to install.
While it’s not particularly dangerous, PUPs usually aren’t, it will cause a lot of inconvenience. You will have your browser’s settings changed and will start seeing more advertisements as you browse. PUPs aren’t malicious themselves, thus the classification potentially unwanted, but because they can expose you to unreliable content, they aren’t recommended to keep installed.
You might find the extension useful but if it’s flooding your screen with ads and changing browser’s settings without permission, consider xVidly removal, for which we will provide instructions below this article.
Should you remove xVidly?
First of all, you should consider how the extension installed. You could have downloaded it yourself knowingly, but it could have also installed without your permission. It may have been added to freeware as an extra offer, and you did not deselect it because you did not see it. This is referred to as the bundling method, and is popular among unwanted program developers. If you want to avoid such unwanted installations, you need to start paying attention to how you install programs. Choose Advanced (Custom) settings if they are available, and deselect the boxes that appear there. We recommend you deselect all the added offers because they will likely be more troublesome than useful. If the program indeed installed without your permission, we don’t recommend keeping it.
The extension is not malicious, thus there is no need to worry about it harming your computer. However, you will notice that it has made changes to your browser, modifying your homepage to display its promoted website. These changes will be irreversible unless you first delete xVidly. The homepage may have a search engine displayed, which will likely insert sponsored content into results. This is done in order to redirect you to sponsored websites, whose owners are trying to make revenue from traffic.
What you will also notice is an increase in advertisements. They will even appear on websites that had little to no ads before. They may also become more personalized the longer the PUP remains installed because it will be following you around as your browse, collecting information about your activities, what kind of content you engage with and what ads you would be more likely to click on. We don’t suggest engaging with the ads as they could expose you to unreliable content, which could harm your computer.
Whether to uninstall xVidly or not is your decision to make, but you should carefully review the program if you decide to keep it.
If you have anti-spyware software and it detects the program as a possible threat, you can erase it automatically. However, if you don’t want to use anti-spyware and prefer to do it yourself, you can use the below provided instructions to help you.
Download Removal Toolto scan for xVidlyUse our recommended removal tool to scan for xVidly. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like xVidly and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall xVidly and related programs.
Remove xVidly from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall xVidly from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete xVidly from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove xVidly from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for xVidly or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete xVidly from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase xVidly from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove xVidly from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall xVidly from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable xVidly and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.