About this infection
search.disconnect.me is a browser hijacker, sometimes referred to as a redirect virus. Users can obtain the infection when they install free software. Since no one would install browser hijackers if they knew what they do, hijackers use a rather sneaky method to infect.
They are attached to freeware as extra offers and if you do not deselect them, they will be allowed to install. This will be explained in more detail later on. If you find yourself with the infection, your browser’s settings have probably been changed and now you are stuck with a weird page loading instead of your usual homepage. These changes are performed without permission. Furthermore, the hijacker will attempt to redirect you to sponsored sites so that it could generate traffic. It could also redirect you to malicious sites where malware could be lurking. This is one of the main reasons why you need to delete search.disconnect.me.
How did your computer get infected?
Users usually get infected when they install freeware. The hijacker is attached in a way that allows it to install without you even knowing. If you use the basic settings and rush the setup process, it would not be surprising if you ended up with all kinds of unwanted programs. To prevent their installation, you need to manually deselect them. This is done in Advanced or Custom settings of the freeware installation process. Those settings will allow you to see what has been added and if there is something, you will be able to deselect everything. Ensure that you uncheck all the boxes so that no unwanted programs can get past.
Why uninstall search.disconnect.me?
The moment the hijacker installs onto your computer, it will make changes to your browser and set its domain as your homepage and new tabs. You will quickly notice that these changes affect all leading browsers (including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) and are irreversible. If you alter them, the hijacker will just overrule the changes. So you are stuck with that weird site as your homepage until you remove search.disconnect.me from your computer. The hijacker promotes a dubious search engine, which will be displayed on the homepage. We do not recommend using it as these kinds of search engines usually insert sponsored content into the results. If you do choose to use it, be careful about which results you press on. Some could redirect you to dangerous sites and this could lead to a malware infection taking place on your computer. If you wish to protect your computer, you need to delete search.disconnect.me.
Users have two ways to uninstall search.disconnect.me. The easier one would be to use anti-spyware software. Those programs are designed to locate and remove search.disconnect.me or similar so it would take care of everything. If you go with manual search.disconnect.me removal, you might have to spend some time trying to find where the hijacker is hiding.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Search.Disconnect.meUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Search.Disconnect.me. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Search.Disconnect.me and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Search.Disconnect.me and related programs.
Remove Search.Disconnect.me from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Search.Disconnect.me from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Search.Disconnect.me from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Search.Disconnect.me from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Search.Disconnect.me or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Search.Disconnect.me from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Search.Disconnect.me from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Search.Disconnect.me from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Search.Disconnect.me from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Search.Disconnect.me and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.