About this hijacker
Startpageweb.com is a website promoted by a browser hijacker, which is usually bundled together with freeware. It is an infection, albeit not a very serious one. It will make changes to your browser, set its promoted website as you homepage and new tabs, and all that will happen without your permission.
It will provide a search engine, which would redirect you to sponsored websites if you chose to use it. It is not malicious itself but we must warn you that it could lead you to malicious sites and that could cause a serious infection to enter your system. Hijackers do not really provide you with anything useful so allowing them to remain will only hinder your browsing experience. Seeing as you also did not choose to install it willingly, you need to delete Startpageweb.com.
Hijacker distribution methods
Browser hijackers are spread using free software bundles. What that means is that they are added to freeware as optional items. The problem is that they are hidden and are set to install, unless you manually deselect them. To avoid these useless installations, use Advanced or Custom settings when installing freeware. In those settings, you will see what has been added and if you do not need something, simply deselect the box. We strongly recommend you uncheck every box. Something that uses such a sneaky method to install should not be on your computer. Unchecking a few boxes will take much less time than it would be to uninstall Startpageweb.com.
Why remove Startpageweb.com?
You will notice the infection right away because your browser’s settings will be changed. All of your browsers will have the above mentioned website set as your homepage and new tabs. The first thing you will probably do when you notice the changes is try to reverse them. You will quickly notice that you are unable to do that because the hijacker will overrule your changes. You will first have to delete Startpageweb.com and the modify the settings. Its promoted search engine will become your default one, which means that all your searches, whether done via provided search box or browser address bar, will go through it. It will insert sponsored content so that you could be redirected to certain websites. More traffic for those sites means more money. You also need to be careful not to end up on malicious pages where you could encounter malware. You should delete Startpageweb.com, only then you will be able to return to normal browsing.
If you have decided to remove Startpageweb.com, you can pick from two options. Choose the one matching your experience with computers the best. If you know where to locate the hijacker, you can proceed with manual Startpageweb.com removal. Do make sure that you get rid of all its related items. If you are struggling or have no experience, it would be best if you obtained anti-spyware software and had it take care of everything.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Startpageweb.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Startpageweb.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Startpageweb.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
How Kaspersky Lab Works? Without a doubt, Kaspersky is one of the top anti-viruses available at the moment. According to computer experts, the software is currently the best at locating and destroyin ...
Step 1. Uninstall Startpageweb.com and related programs.
Remove Startpageweb.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Startpageweb.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Startpageweb.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Startpageweb.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Startpageweb.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Startpageweb.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Startpageweb.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Startpageweb.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Startpageweb.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Startpageweb.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.