What is Akamaihd?
Akamaihd, also known as Searchinterneat-a.akamaihd.net, is a browser hijacker that might one day show up illegally onto your computer. Despite their efforts to enter PCs unnoticed, browser hijackers do not work in the background like other malicious applications.
The first thing they do following the successful infiltration is changing browsers’ settings. In the case of Akamaihd, it should set itself as your new homepage and default search engine, but, of course, you might discover it in the place of a New Tab URL as well. Go to remove Akamaihd as soon as you find it set on your browsers because its presence can only result in a ton of different problems, both related to security and privacy. Browser hijackers are not ordinary infections that have uninstallers, so it will not be very easy to uninstall Akamaihd from browsers either. Of course, we will try to help you with that in the last paragraph.
How does Akamaihd act?
Akamaihd is a browser hijacker, so we are sure that the first thing it will do on your system is changing browsers’ settings. It will affect all of them, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox, so no matter which one of these three browsers you use, you will find changes applied to all of them and, as a consequence, soon find out about the entrance of a browser hijacker. Akamaihd might look like a search tool, but, please, do not perform any searches using it because you will risk infecting your system heavily with malware by doing so. It will not download infections on your computer, but it might present you with untrustworthy links that act as advertisements. They might redirect you straight to corrupted websites only seeking to install malware on users’ PCs. It is the main reason the Akamaihd removal must be implemented as soon as possible. The second reason you should go to delete Akamaihd as soon as possible is the fact that it might record personal information. This information might be sold and thus your privacy might be ruined. This will not happen only if you remove Akamaihd today and start using a new search tool.
Why did Akamaihd change my browsers’ settings?
You see a new website Akamaihd set on your browsers because a browser hijacker has successfully entered your computer. These are sneaky infections, so it is hard to say how the browser hijacker has entered your computer. According to experts, the most likely scenario is that it has entered the system in a software bundle. If it has entered your PC somehow differently, this does not change the fact that the Akamaihd removal must be performed as soon as possible.
How do I remove Akamaihd?
It is surely possible to delete Akamaihd from browsers manually – it should be enough to reset browsers to default, but we still recommend employing the automatic removal method because it is the easiest way to erase a browser hijacker. Actually, you will not only get Akamaihd removed. The automatic tool you use will also erase other active threats your computer contains.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Akamaihd virusUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Akamaihd virus. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Akamaihd virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Plumbytes is a reliable security software that can provide you with a rich set of beneficial features. It belongs to a UK-based company called Plumbytes Software, LP. The application functions as a ma ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Akamaihd virus and related programs.
Remove Akamaihd virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Akamaihd virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Akamaihd virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Akamaihd virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Akamaihd virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Akamaihd virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Akamaihd virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Akamaihd virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Akamaihd virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Akamaihd virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.