What is a browser hijacker?
Checkmyspeed.co is a questionable website and a browser hijacker. If you haven’t encountered hijackers before, you may be surprised to see that your browser’s settings have been changed and that you now have a different homepage/new tabs. Whenever your browser’s settings are changed and you don’t remember doing it, you are likely dealing with a browser hijacker. They aren’t very serious infections so no need to worry about damage to your computer. Nevertheless, you should not keep hijackers installed as they tend to redirect users to sponsored websites in order to make revenue. Not only are redirects unnecessary to you, they could also pose certain danger in the sense that you could be led to malware-ridden websites. Not to mention the fact that hijackers collect information about users, which can include personal information. Therefore, the sooner you delete Checkmyspeed.co, the better.
We will also explain how the hijacker got into your computer, but the gist of it is that it was likely attached to freeware as an extra offer, and you did not notice. Users accidentally installing hijackers tend to happen quite often because they are hidden during freeware setup and users rarely pay enough attention to notice them.
Details on this specific hijacker
This particular hijacker supposedly allows you to check your Internet speed, which is something you can do without a browser extension. It will change your homepage and new tabs on your browser, whether you are using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. Once these changes have been made, you will be unable to undo them unless you first remove Checkmyspeed.co from your device. Until them, it will reverse all changes you perform.
Avoiding hijackers in the future
The bundling method is the one most often users when it comes to spreading infections like hijackers or adware. They come attached to free programs and are authorized to install alongside, often without the user even noticing. If you want to prevent these unwanted installations, you need to deselect the items during program setup. This option becomes available in Advanced (Custom) settings. Opt for those settings, and you will be able to review and deselect all offers. The items will be stopped from installing, and you can then continue installing the program.
We will provide instructions below this article to help you uninstall Checkmyspeed.co manually. It’s not a difficult process but if you would prefer the automatic method, obtain anti-spyware software and have it take care of everything. Once the hijacker has been removed, you can proceed to change your browser’s settings.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Checkmyspeed.coUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Checkmyspeed.co. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Checkmyspeed.co and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Checkmyspeed.co and related programs.
Remove Checkmyspeed.co from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Checkmyspeed.co from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Checkmyspeed.co from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Checkmyspeed.co from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Checkmyspeed.co or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Checkmyspeed.co from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Checkmyspeed.co from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Checkmyspeed.co from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Checkmyspeed.co from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Checkmyspeed.co and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.