AOL Toolbar Removal Tips
AOL Toolbar is a browser plugin that can be installed on any one of your browsers. It is promoted on its official site as an application that will allow you to access email, news, weather reports, and more when you go online in a quicker and easier way.
The toolbar has default buttons and it can be customized by adding your preferred links. Third parties may also offer apps or services to be added into the program. The software usually comes with three components: AOL Toolbar, Download Updater, and Price Check by AOL. If you want to delete AOL Toolbar completely, you will have to remove all of them from your PC.
How does AOL Toolbar work?
AOL Toolbar can be downloaded from several websites, however it is also known to travel in free third party software bundles. If that is how you acquired it, you may have more potentially unwanted programs on your computer. You can check your system with the free scanner presented on our page to see if that is the case. If you want to avoid similar applications in the future and make sure that you only install the software that you actually need, you should always be attentive with freeware installation process. You should choose the Advanced or Custom installation mode whenever it is possible and decline all additional offers of unfamiliar programs shown to you in the wizard.
Once AOL Toolbar gets access onto your computer, it gets added to your browser and appears below the address box. It contains such buttons as Aol, Facebook, Weather, Radio, and others. It also has a search box powered by AOL Search. Another aspect of the application that you should know about is that it can alter your browser settings. It does not matter how you acquire the toolbar, it can still change your home page, new tab, and default search provider switching them to Aol.com and Search.aol.com. The search engine will show you relevant results, however, it will also expose you to advertising content. If you want to restore your browser settings, you will have to terminate AOL Toolbar.
How to remove AOL Toolbar?
There are two ways you can delete AOL Toolbar: manually or automatically. Since it is very likely that the toolbar is not the only unwanted program on your computer, we suggest that you go with the automatic removal option. In order to remove AOL Toolbar automatically, you will have to implement a reliable anti-malware utility and scan your system with it. The scan will reveal all potential threats and eliminate AOL Toolbar along with them. The security tool will also help you make sure that your PC stays safeguarded in the future. Alternatively, you can uninstall AOL Toolbar yourself. If your browser settings were modified by it, you will have to restore them. In case you need detailed instructions on how to complete these tasks, you can follow the ones presented below.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove AOL ToolbarUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall AOL Toolbar. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like AOL Toolbar and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall AOL Toolbar and related programs.
Remove AOL Toolbar from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall AOL Toolbar from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete AOL Toolbar from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove AOL Toolbar from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for AOL Toolbar or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete AOL Toolbar from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase AOL Toolbar from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove AOL Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall AOL Toolbar from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable AOL Toolbar and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.