About this scam
Bankworm Scam is a scam that tries to convince you that your Mac computer has been infected with a serious malware and you need to download Advanced Mac Cleaner to get rid of it. If you’re wondering why we are so sure it’s a scam, it’s because the malware warning appears in your browser. Your browser will never legitimately warn you about a virus because it is not capable of detecting one.
So anytime a window pop-ups while you’re browsing and warns you about a malware infection on your computer, it will always be a scam. The aim of such scams is to get users to install questionable programs that pretend to be legitimate security software. When users install those programs, they are asked to purchase the full version in order to get rid of the supposed malware. Not only would users be buying useless software but they would also be potentially giving away their baking information to questionable parties.
The reason you even saw the fake pop-ups is either because you were redirected to it when visiting a questionable website, or because you have adware installed. If it’s the latter, you will need to get rid of the adware to remove Bankworm Scam.
What is its purpose?
Before doing anything else, you need to find out why you are seeing the warning. If it appeared once when you were visiting a questionable website, then that should be the end of it. Dubious websites sometimes cause those redirects but as long as you don’t interact with them, you should be fine. However, if you’re regularly being redirected to the same or similar warnings, adware could be the cause. You could have picked up the adware when installing some kind of freeware. When installing programs, you need to pay attention to the process because otherwise you will miss the added offers that come with freeware (hijackers, adware, etc.). Make sure to pick Advanced or Custom settings when installing something, and added offer will become visible. You need to deselect them, after witch you can continue installing the program.
When the redirect happens, a warning will pop-up, saying that a download is required. You are asked to download Advanced Mac Cleaner in order to get rid of the Bankworm malware, which has supposedly infected your computer. It claims the suggested anti-virus has a rating of 9.9/10 and is free, neither of which would turn out to be true. If you press “Remove Virus Now”, you would launch the download of the dubious program. Once it’s installed, it would perform a scan of your Mac. Along with the fake Bankworm malware, there would be a lot of other issues found, all of which can supposedly be solved after you purchase the full version. Bear in mind that there is no Bankworm malware on your computer, and the alert was bogus. It’s a mere scam trying to get money out of users.
Never install programs that are offered in such a way because they will always be scams, or could be malware. And no legitimate security program will ever promote itself this way.
Bankworm Scam removal
If you’re dealing with adware, you will have to get rid of it in order to delete Bankworm Scam redirects. It can be done in two ways. Below this article, you will find instructions to help manually uninstall Bankworm Scam causing adware. If you would prefer the automatic method, obtain anti-spyware software and have it take care of everything.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Bankworm ScamUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Bankworm Scam. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like Bankworm Scam and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Bankworm Scam and related programs.
Remove Bankworm Scam from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Bankworm Scam from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Bankworm Scam from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Bankworm Scam from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Bankworm Scam or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Bankworm Scam from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Bankworm Scam from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Bankworm Scam from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Bankworm Scam from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Bankworm Scam and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.