About this threat
Chrome.exe Virus refers to a Poweliks Trojan, an infection that will expose you to countless malicious advertisements. The reason it is called the Chrome.exe virus is because it hides by disguising itself as a legitimate Google Chrome process. If you are using the browser, it’s normal to see the process running in Task Manager, but if you notice that either the processes are running when Chrome is closed, or there is a lot of them, it’s possible that you picked up a Trojan.
There are numerous ways you can get it, usually by pressing on some malicious advertisement or downloading something from an unreliable source. You could have also opened an email attachment, which had been infected. Whichever way you got it, it’s crucial that you delete Chrome.exe Virus as soon as possible because it’s exposing you to loads of possibly malicious ads, which could lead to even more serious infections.
It’s not difficult to notice this infection because of the many processes but less computer-savvy users may not understand what’s going on. In addition to the processes, the computer will start running slower than usual, programs may take longer to load, etc. This would be all because the Trojan would be using a lot of your computer’s resources. Pop-up will start appearing in your browser, whichever sites you visit, and that can get annoying very quickly. Thus, the sooner you uninstall Chrome.exe Virus, the better.
How to avoid these infections in the future?
If you want to prevent infections from entering your computer, you have to develop better habits. Avoid downloading from unreliable websites, such as Torrents, and stick to legitimate websites/sources. Avoid opening email attachments from senders you do not recognize because they could be harboring something malicious. Pressing on malicious ads could also lead to serious infections. Be very careful about what ads you press on when visiting questionable reputation websites because they could lead to infected websites, where you could pick up malware without even knowing. And if you don’t have anti-malware installed, the infection could be hiding on your computer for a while, causing all kinds of disturbances.
What does it do?
At first, you might not notice what’s going on but if you have knowledge about computers, you will realize that the sudden slowdown of your computer is something to be concerned about. A logical step would be to check the Task Manager for programs using your computer’s resources extensively. That is where you would notice the infection. Many Chrome processes would appear, some using your CPU to a high degree. The processes seem like they belong to Chrome but the browser would not have that many, which immediately should ring alarm bells in your head. Especially if they use a lot of your CPU.
The infection will start generating a lot of advertisements to show you, and bombard your screen with them. They would be very intrusive, constantly pestering you wherever you go on the Internet. This gets annoying very quickly. They will also be dangerous to click on because of possible infections. You could obtain one by simply pressing on an ad. You need to get rid of the infection as soon as possible, before it starts doing something much more malicious.
Chrome.exe Virus removal
You will have to obtain anti-malware software if you want to get rid of the infection. Manual elimination is not recommended because you could end up further damaging your computer. Thus, obtain a trustworthy anti-malware programs and have it take care of everything. After the elimination process, check your Task Manager for weird processes to make sure the infection is gone completely.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Chrome.exe VirusUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Chrome.exe Virus. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Chrome.exe Virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Chrome.exe Virus and related programs.
Remove Chrome.exe Virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Chrome.exe Virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Chrome.exe Virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Chrome.exe Virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Chrome.exe Virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Chrome.exe Virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Chrome.exe Virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Chrome.exe Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Chrome.exe Virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Chrome.exe Virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.