About this threat
Directions Mapper is a questionable toolbar and a browser hijacker. This is not a serious infection, albeit not harmless. Your browser’s settings will be changed and you will be forced to use a questionable search engine. Hijackers aim to redirect you to sponsored content, which is why the settings are changed.
Despite saying that the hijacker is not a serious infection, we have to warn you that some hijackers are able to redirect users to malicious content. This could results in a dangerous piece of malware entering your computer. So the best course of action is obvious. You need to remove Directions Mapper Toolbar right away. These kinds of threads usually spread via freeware bundles so make sure you read the following paragraph carefully so that you can avoid similar infections in the future.
So how does a hijacker infect a computer?
There is an official website, directions-mapper.com, where you can download it. However, you might be one of the users who suddenly finds it inhabiting their computers. If you have no recollection of ever installing it, then it slipped past you when you were installing freeware. It was attached as an extra offer and you did not notice it, thus were unable to deselect it, which is the only way to prevent these installations. When installing freeware, you must choose Advanced or Custom settings and uncheck the boxes that appear there. Make sure you uncheck every single box because otherwise you may be allowing all kinds of unwanted programs to enter your computer. Bear in mind that it’s much more simple and less time-consuming to unmark a few boxes than it would be to delete Directions Mapper Toolbar or similar.
Why uninstall Directions Mapper Toolbar?
Whichever way you installed it, the moment the hijacker enters your computer, it will alter your browser’s settings and set Search.searchdirma.com as your homepage and new tabs. Your default search engine will also be modified. These changes are irreversible, unless you first remove Directions Mapper Toolbar from the device. We doubt you’d want to keep it anyway. The website set as your homepage will have a search engine and links to websites such as Amazon, Facebook, YouTube, eBay and Gmail. Use the search engine at your own risk. If will insert sponsored content into the results and you will be redirected to advertisement pages. Since it cannot differentiate between safe and malicious sites, you could be led to a malware infected website and end up with some kind of virus. Obviously, we would recommend you delete Directions Mapper Toolbar.
Directions Mapper Toolbar removal
Depending on how much experience you have with computers, you have two ways to uninstall Directions Mapper Toolbar. You can use anti-spyware software and we have to say that that may be the easiest way because the program would do everything for you. If you go with manual Directions Mapper Toolbar removal, you will have to find where the hijacker is hiding yourself.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Directions Mapper ToolbarUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Directions Mapper Toolbar. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Directions Mapper Toolbar and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
How Kaspersky Lab Works? Without a doubt, Kaspersky is one of the top anti-viruses available at the moment. According to computer experts, the software is currently the best at locating and destroyin ...
Step 1. Uninstall Directions Mapper Toolbar and related programs.
Remove Directions Mapper Toolbar from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Directions Mapper Toolbar from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Directions Mapper Toolbar from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Directions Mapper Toolbar from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Directions Mapper Toolbar or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Directions Mapper Toolbar from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Directions Mapper Toolbar from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Directions Mapper Toolbar from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Directions Mapper Toolbar from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Directions Mapper Toolbar and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.