About this infection
Elex hijacker is a browser hijacker infection that changes browser’s settings without the permission of the user. Hijacker infections are not hard to notice, seeing as your homepage, new tabs and search engine will be changed. Some users do not really pay attention or don’t care and allow hijackers to remain, which is a mistake.
While it’s true that hijackers are not exactly malicious themselves, they’re not harmless. After a hijacker changes your browser’s settings, it will try to redirect you to sponsored websites. It does that because it exists to generate traffic for those pages. The thing is, a hijacker does not care whether those websites are secure. That means that you could be led to a malicious web page and encounter some kind of malware. You got the infection via free software bundles, which means you installed it yourself. Fear not, however, it’s easy to avoid these installations. This and how to remove Elex hijacker will be explained further on in this report.
What affect does it have on the system?
A browser hijacker will make changes to browsers immediately after installations, which allows users to spot an infection rather quickly. The hijacker will set its promoted website as the homepage and new tabs on all leading browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox so you will see it everywhere. First thing most users will do is try to change the settings back but it will become very obvious very quickly that the hijacker will just overrule those changes every time. So to be able to restore the settings, you need to delete Elex hijacker. Hijackers usually promote certain search engines and you will see one when this hijacker takes over. Refrain from using it because you will be exposed to sponsored sites. They will appear legitimate and will be inserted among the real results to make it more difficult to differentiate. Those results rarely have anything to do with what you were searching for and in some cases, you could be led to malicious sites. If you want to avoid a possible malware infection, you need to uninstall Elex hijacker.
The reason you have it on your computer is because you installed freeware and did not pay sufficient attention. Hijackers are added to freeware as additional offers and you need to deselect them. To do this, access Advanced or Custom settings of the freeware installation process and uncheck all the boxes that appear there. Do this every time you install freeware and you will not have to remove Elex hijacker or similar again.
Elex hijacker removal
You have two options when it comes to Elex hijacker removal. You could use anti-spyware software and that might be the quickest way because the security program would do everything. This is the recommended method to delete Elex hijacker but you can also do it manually. You will just have to find the hijacker yourself. Ensure that you uninstall Elex hijackerElex hijacker fully and it cannot renew itself.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Elex HijackerUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Elex Hijacker. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Elex Hijacker and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
How Kaspersky Lab Works? Without a doubt, Kaspersky is one of the top anti-viruses available at the moment. According to computer experts, the software is currently the best at locating and destroyin ...
Step 1. Uninstall Elex Hijacker and related programs.
Remove Elex Hijacker from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Elex Hijacker from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Elex Hijacker from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Elex Hijacker from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Elex Hijacker or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Elex Hijacker from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Elex Hijacker from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Elex Hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Elex Hijacker from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Elex Hijacker and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.