What is ElGato?
ElGato (from Spanish “the cat”) is a dangerous threat that falls into the category of ransomware. It usually attacks Android devices, however, the parasite may have other versions targeted towards computer systems. Although it is classified as ransomware, it is not a typical ransomware infection. Malign programs that belong to this category are used to extort money from users by corrupting their files. ElGato, on the other hand, does not demand a ransom to be paid for the files on the locked device. Still, that does not mean that it is harmless. We will discuss the symptoms of this threat in the next chapter. What you need to know right away is that you should not hesitate to remove ElGato from your device.
How does ElGato work?
ElGato uses different deceptive tricks to spread online including apps infected with Trojans, malign email attachments, phishing sites, etc. That is why it is imperative that you have an anti-malware tool installed on your device, whether it is a smartphone or a tablet. You should also be careful while surfing online and only download files from reliable sources.
The ransomware takes several unwanted actions, once it gets access to your system. It can lock and unlock your device’s screen (presenting you with a picture of a cat), send text messages from your phone, access the messages that you receive, and more. The parasite may also encrypt files on your SD card. It uses the AES encryption algorithm, however, it is possible to unlock your files with the virus itself, if you can find the code on your own. Less experienced users may need to use additional software to decrypt the data. There is no question that you should take the infection seriously. The sooner you eliminate ElGato from your Android, the better.
How to delete ElGato?
ElGato runs on a cloud service. What this means is that the control of the infection depends on a network connection. If you disconnect your device from the network, the cyber criminals will not be able to use the harmful program to control your phone or tablet. Therefore, the first thing you need to do in order to get rid of ElGato is to disconnect your device from the Internet. Afterwards, you should restart it in Safe Mode and acquire a reputable anti-malware utility. If you make use of the security software, you will be able to terminate ElGato and other threats that may be present on it. In addition to ElGato removal, the anti-malware will also provide your device with online protection in real time, so that you do not have to deal with similar issues again in the future.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove ElGato VirusUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall ElGato Virus. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like ElGato Virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Delete ElGato Virus using Safe Mode with Networking.
Remove ElGato Virus from Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows XP
- Click on Start and select Shutdown.
- Choose Restart and click OK.
- Start tapping F8 when your PC starts loading.
- Under Advanced Boot Options, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
- Open your browser and download the anti-malware utility.
- Use the utility to remove ElGato Virus
Remove ElGato Virus from Windows 8/Windows 10
- On the Windows login screen, press the Power button.
- Tap and hold Shift and select Restart.
- Go to Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Start Settings.
- Choose Enable Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking under Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- Open your web browser and download the malware remover.
- Use the software to delete ElGato Virus
Step 2. Restore Your Files using System Restore
Delete ElGato Virus from Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows XP
- Click Start and choose Shutdown.
- Select Restart and OK
- When your PC starts loading, press F8 repeatedly to open Advanced Boot Options
- Choose Command Prompt from the list.
- Type in cd restore and tap Enter.
- Type in rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- Click Next in the new window and select the restore point prior to the infection.
- Click Next again and click Yes to begin the system restore.
Delete ElGato Virus from Windows 8/Windows 10
- Click the Power button on the Windows login screen.
- Press and hold Shift and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot and go to Advanced options.
- Select Command Prompt and click Restart.
- In Command Prompt, input cd restore and tap Enter.
- Type in rstrui.exe and tap Enter again.
- Click Next in the new System Restore window.
- Choose the restore point prior to the infection.
- Click Next and then click Yes to restore your system.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.