What is Erebus ransomware?
Erebus ransomware is a file-encrypting ransomware type of virus. It’s not a very widespread virus and cannot be compared to ransomware giants like Locky or Cerber. One thing that sets this ransomware apart from the others is the spread method. It seems to be distributed via malicious ads. You are led to an infected web page and if the virus finds vulnerabilities on your computer, it downloads onto your device. Once it’s on your computer, it will encrypt your files and demand that you pay to get the files back. While the only way to get the files back is with the help of the developers, we don’t suggest you contact or pay them. You would probably be ignored after you pay as the cyber criminals are not obligated to provide you with a decryptor. Instead of paying, you should remove Erebus ransomware.
What does Erebus ransomware do?
Usually ransomware spreads via spam emails as that seems to be the most effective method. However, Erebus ransomware is distributed via malicious advertisements. If you were to click on the wrong one, you would be led to an infected website. The ransomware could enter your computer if it could find loopholes to take advantage of. This is why it’s essential that all your software is updated regularly. Out-of-date software can create vulnerabilities that would be easy to take advantage of. It’s also important that you have anti-malware software on your computer. It might be able to prevent an infection in time.
Erebus ransomware will encrypt your files if it manages to enter your computer. It uses the RSA-2048 encryption algorithm to make your files unreadable. You will also see that it has attached the .encrypt file extension to all affected files. A ransom note would then be displayed in which you would be asked to pay a ransom and supposedly, you would get your files back. That is highly unlikely, and we feel obligated to inform you that in a lot of cases when people pay, they end up losing their money and their files. This is why it’s important that you have backup. Then you would not need to worry about file-encrypting viruses. If you had backup, you could just concentrate on Erebus ransomware removal without worrying about file decryption. If you do have backup, you can restore your files from there after you delete Erebus ransomware.
Erebus ransomware removal
Technically, you can remove Erebus ransomware in two ways, automatically or by hand. However, if you choose to erase Erebus ransomware manually, we must warn you that you could damage your computer if you do not know what you are doing. You should employ anti-malware software to delete Erebus ransomware. It will locate and eliminate Erebus ransomware without putting your computer in danger.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Erebus ransomwareUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Erebus ransomware. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Erebus ransomware and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Plumbytes is a reliable security software that can provide you with a rich set of beneficial features. It belongs to a UK-based company called Plumbytes Software, LP. The application functions as a ma ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Delete Erebus ransomware using Safe Mode with Networking.
Remove Erebus ransomware from Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows XP
- Click on Start and select Shutdown.
- Choose Restart and click OK.
- Start tapping F8 when your PC starts loading.
- Under Advanced Boot Options, choose Safe Mode with Networking.
- Open your browser and download the anti-malware utility.
- Use the utility to remove Erebus ransomware
Remove Erebus ransomware from Windows 8/Windows 10
- On the Windows login screen, press the Power button.
- Tap and hold Shift and select Restart.
- Go to Troubleshoot → Advanced options → Start Settings.
- Choose Enable Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking under Startup Settings.
- Click Restart.
- Open your web browser and download the malware remover.
- Use the software to delete Erebus ransomware
Step 2. Restore Your Files using System Restore
Delete Erebus ransomware from Windows 7/Windows Vista/Windows XP
- Click Start and choose Shutdown.
- Select Restart and OK
- When your PC starts loading, press F8 repeatedly to open Advanced Boot Options
- Choose Command Prompt from the list.
- Type in cd restore and tap Enter.
- Type in rstrui.exe and press Enter.
- Click Next in the new window and select the restore point prior to the infection.
- Click Next again and click Yes to begin the system restore.
Delete Erebus ransomware from Windows 8/Windows 10
- Click the Power button on the Windows login screen.
- Press and hold Shift and click Restart.
- Choose Troubleshoot and go to Advanced options.
- Select Command Prompt and click Restart.
- In Command Prompt, input cd restore and tap Enter.
- Type in rstrui.exe and tap Enter again.
- Click Next in the new System Restore window.
- Choose the restore point prior to the infection.
- Click Next and then click Yes to restore your system.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.