What is FileRepMetagen?
Has your Avast security application informed you about the detection of the threat named FileRepMetagen? If it is exactly why you are reading this article, we want to tell you that this is not the end of the world since the detected threat is not real malware. Of course, we do not try to say here that ignoring it is a very good idea too. As mentioned, the FileRepMetagen detection does not mean that you have encountered some kind of serious infection.
This is an indication that you have installed a potentially unwanted program (PUP) on your computer. In some cases, these programs enter computers without permission. Consequently, users know nothing about their installation. If you have not installed any program that could be called potentially unwanted software yourself recently, it does not mean that it is not installed on your system. As mentioned, it could have entered your system without your knowledge. In such a case, you should remove FileRepMetagen, i.e. delete the application your security tool has detected immediately.
What does FileRepMetagen do?
As you already know, FileRepMetagen is just a potentially unwanted program active on your computer. These programs are not harmful computer threats, but they cannot be called fully reliable as well. Usually, they perform activities legitimate programs never do without the user’s consent. For example, they might start showing different types of commercial advertisements. Second, potentially unwanted applications might be used to actively collect information about users. Of course, they do not record personal details like real malware, but they might record a variety of details that are part of the non-personally identifiable information. Usually, they also record some information about the user’s computer. It is hard to say what they are going to do with this data. It might even be shared with disreputable companies, specialists say, so you should never let suspicious software stay installed – you do not know what it is capable of.
Where does FileRepMetagen come from?
Usually, potentially unwanted applications have official websites they can be downloaded from with a single click on the Download button, but there are plenty of alternative methods that can be used to promote them. In most cases, users install bundles and by doing so agree with the installation of additional unwanted software. No worries if FileRepMetagen has appeared on your system without your permission because the FileRepMetagen removal is not something you could not do yourself.
How do I delete FileRepMetagen?
If you decide to remove FileRepMetagen, there are two methods you can choose from. First, you can delete FileRepMetagen manually, or you can entrust the FileRepMetagen removal to an automated tool called an anti-malware scanner. No matter how you remove FileRepMetagen, make sure no components of this potentially unwanted application are left on your system because it may be able to continue working in the background. Of course, it does not mean that you cannot encounter the same or a similar program after you get rid of it. We can assure you that you will no longer need to uninstall FileRepMetagen or any other untrustworthy program from your PC if you keep a reputable security application installed on your system.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove FileRepMetagenUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall FileRepMetagen. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like FileRepMetagen and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall FileRepMetagen and related programs.
Remove FileRepMetagen from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall FileRepMetagen from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete FileRepMetagen from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove FileRepMetagen from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for FileRepMetagen or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete FileRepMetagen from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase FileRepMetagen from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove FileRepMetagen from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall FileRepMetagen from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable FileRepMetagen and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.