Hi.ru is a browser hijacker and a potentially unwanted program (PUP). If you find that your browser has been hijacked and you are being redirected to Hi.ru when you open your browser, you have a browser hijacker on your computer. They can get into your computer without you knowing because they are bundled together with freeware, which means they automatically install unless you prevent them. Hi.ru is not malicious malware and it only exists to earn money by redirecting you to sponsored websites. But, while it does not put your computer in danger directly, it can still expose you to danger. You are not recommended to keep this PUP on your computer and should remove Hi.ru as soon as possible.
How did my computer get infected with Hi.ru?
Browser hijackers are optional items attached to freeware. Users don’t have to install them along with the freeware if they don’t want to, but because most users are not even aware of their existence, they don’t take the necessary actions in order to prevent their installation. What you need to do when installing freeware is use Advanced (Custom) settings. You will clearly see what is attached and if it’s something you do not want, you can deselect them, and that will prevent the installation. Don’t make the same mistake that led to Hi.ru being installed, always opt for Advanced settings. And if you accidentally installed it, delete Hi.ru.
Why should I uninstall Hi.ru?
When you open your browser (Google Chrome, Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox) and notice that your homepage, new tabs and search engine have been changed to Hi.ru but you don’t remember doing that yourself, this browser hijacker has done it for you. When you try to change these settings back, you won’t be able to, unless you remove Hi.ru from your computer. If you use the provided search engine, you’ll notice that a lot of sponsored content has been inserted into the results. By doing this, the browser hijacker is trying to redirect you to those websites, therefore, earning them money. Often, those sponsored results have nothing to do with what you wanted to know so it should not be difficult to avoid them. And you need to avoid them because some of those websites might be unsafe. If you were to enter such websites, by the end of your browsing session, you could have serious malware on your computer. Seems to be a rather pointless risk to take, so delete Hi.ru.
You can erase Hi.ru by hand but you will need to locate and eliminate Hi.ru related programs. If that is something you are not confident about doing, we recommend you use anti-malware software to uninstall Hi.ru from your computer. Instructions for Hi.ru removal will be provided below.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Hi.ruUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Hi.ru. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Hi.ru and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Hi.ru and related programs.
Remove Hi.ru from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Hi.ru from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Hi.ru from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Hi.ru from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Hi.ru or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Hi.ru from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Hi.ru from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Hi.ru from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Hi.ru from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Hi.ru and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.