About this hijacker
Home.mapsnt.com is a dubious website that will be set as your homepage by a certain browser hijacker. You must have obtained the hijacker when you were installing freeware, because you were inattentive. Hijackers come attached to freeware as extra offers, and they will install alongside automatically.
If you want to prevent them from doing so, you need to deselect them. Hijackers are not considered to be malicious infections by themselves but that does not mean you should allow it to remain. You should have noticed what it does by now, seeing as your homepage now loads the hijacker’s promoted website. Those changes are performed without your explicit permission, which should be reason enough to get rid of it. In addition, if you use its provided search engine, you may be redirected to sponsored or even malicious sites. This is typical browser hijacker behavior because they are created with the intention of generating traffic for certain websites. No reason to put up with the hijacker, simply remove Home.mapsnt.com. And be more careful in the future so that you don’t end up in the same situation again.
How does it spread?
This is one of those programs that can install onto your computer without getting your explicit permission. They are bundled with free programs and can install without you even noticing. When you install freeware, it is important that you uncheck all extra offers that come with it. Those can include adware, browser hijackers and other kinds of potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). To prevent them from installing, you need to deselect them during installation. This is done by accessing Advanced or Custom settings. In those settings, you will see everything that has been added, and will be given the option of deselecting everything. Make sure that you always uncheck all because getting rid of those infections can be time-consuming.
Why delete Home.mapsnt.com?
You will notice right away if a hijacker inhabits your system because it will make changes to your browser. It will change your Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox settings so that you have a new homepage. These changes will be irreversible unless you first get rid of the hijacker. The website offers shortcuts to various map related sites, in addition to a search engine. Hijacker search engines are often used to redirect users to sponsored websites so we recommend against using them. Site owners employ hijackers to redirect traffic to their site so that they can earn revenue. Those results are usually pretty obvious as they have little to do with what you were searching for. However, you still need to be careful with them. Some may be able to lead to malicious sites which could result in a serious malware infection. Hijackers also tend to collect certain kind of information about users, such as IP addresses, search queries and sites visited. That info could then be shared with shady third-parties. We don’t suggest putting up with the changes it has done to your browser. Instead, get rid of it.
You have two options when it comes to eliminating this hijacker. You can uninstall Home.mapsnt.com manually, but if you have never done it before, it may be difficult and rather time-consuming. If you are not sure about where to start, scroll down for instructions to help you. If you struggle with the manual way, try using anti-spyware software. Those programs are designed to deal with these kinds of infections, so it shouldn’t have any problems. After you take care of the infection, proceed to change your browser’s settings back to normal.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Home.mapsnt.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Home.mapsnt.com. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like Home.mapsnt.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Home.mapsnt.com and related programs.
Remove Home.mapsnt.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Home.mapsnt.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Home.mapsnt.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Home.mapsnt.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Home.mapsnt.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Home.mapsnt.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Home.mapsnt.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Home.mapsnt.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Home.mapsnt.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Home.mapsnt.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.