Locky File Virus Removal Tips (Uninstall Locky File Virus)
Locky File Virus, also known as .locky file extension virus and Locky ransomware, is a file-encrypting parasite that can infiltrate your PC without your knowledge. The ransomware is used by cyber criminals as an easy way to make money. It infiltrates your computer and encodes your data files thus making them inaccessible to you or anyone else for that matter.
The malicious program then informs you of the fact that you can restore access to your files by purchasing a decryption key. We do not recommend supporting the hackers in their endeavors, especially considering that there is no reason for them to help you after they get your money. You should terminate Locky File Virus and try to recover data yourself.
First, you should know how the infection gets distributed, so you can avoid it in the future. The harmful software uses such deceptive tricks as fake advertisements, spam emails with malign attachments, corrupted sites and links, and more. You should be especially careful with email messages that supposedly contain invoices or other attachments that are actually the source of the infection. Still, even if you are always cautious while surfing the Web, it would not hurt to have a reputable security tool protecting your PC.
Once the malware gets installed, it starts the encryption process affecting your photos, videos, documents, and other important data. It uses the RSA-2048 and AES-128 encryption algorithms. All corrupted files have the .locky extension added to them, so there is no confusion as to which files are affected and which are not. The malware presents you with a so-called solution to your problem, which is to pay a ransom and thus regain access to your data. The requested amount is 0.5 Bitcoin (about $223). You should not pay the ransom, because you cannot be sure that it will bring you positive results. What you should do is delete Locky File Virus for good.
How to remove Locky File Virus?
There are several methods you can try to restore your data. If you have your files backed up, you can easily recover them, however, if you do not you can try such file decryptors as R-Studio, Photorec, or others. Another solution is to use the System Restore feature. Regardless of whether or not you manage to get your files back, you should delete Locky File Virus from your computer. Locky File Virus removal can be completed with the help of an anti-malware tool. You can download the security program from our site and use it to not only remove Locky File Virus, but also get rid of other threats present on your computer. You should keep the malware remover after it completes Locky File Virus removal, because it also functions as a malware prevention software, so it will help you keep your PC safe at all times.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Locky File VirusUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Locky File Virus. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like Locky File Virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Locky File Virus and related programs.
Remove Locky File Virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Locky File Virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Locky File Virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Locky File Virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Locky File Virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Locky File Virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Locky File Virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Locky File Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Locky File Virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Locky File Virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.