What is Search.smartmediatabsearch.com?
Search.smartmediatabsearch.com is your typical browser hijacker, a low-level computer infection. It is not very dangerous, as it will not harm your computer directly. Browser hijackers aim to direct users to sponsored websites so that income could be generated. Some hijackers can even lead users to malicious sites this way. It would not be that surprising if you ended up with a malware infection on your computer. A browser hijacker can enter your computer along with free software, if you do not notice if attached during installation. Some users choose to allow hijackers to stay but it is not recommended you do so. Hijackers are completely useless to you and they will only cause you frustration if you do not get rid of them. Remove Search.smartmediatabsearch.com.
Why uninstall Search.smartmediatabsearch.com?
Seeing as hijackers aim to redirect you, they need to change your browser’s settings first to make it easier. The hijacker will take over such browsers as Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox browsers and set Search.smartmediatabsearch.com as the homepage and new tabs. You may not remember it asking you to permit these changes but if they indeed happen, the only way to undo them would be to first delete Search.smartmediatabsearch.com and then manually alter the settings. Your new homepage will have a search bar and links to sites like Facebook, Gmail, YouTube, Netflix and CBS. If you type in a search into the box, you will be taken to Yahoo. It is a completely legitimate search engine but the fact that the hijackers is forcing you to use it is rather troublesome. Do not allow it to do as it pleases and remove Search.smartmediatabsearch.com.
If you have a hijacker on your computer, you need to reevaluate your installation habits because essentially, you allowed the hijacker to install yourself. It was attached to free software as an extra item that you could have chosen not to install. However, they are set to install alongside the software automatically, so you would need to manually stop them from doing so. This can be done quite easily. You need to choose Advanced or Custom settings during the freeware installation process and deselect all extra offers. After you uncheck those boxes, you can continue to install the freeware. Using Default settings is not recommended because you will end up allowing all kinds of added items to install. And initially deselecting a couple of boxes is much easier that it would be to uninstall Search.smartmediatabsearch.com or similar after it has already been installed.
If you have experience with computers, you can attempt to delete Search.smartmediatabsearch.com manually. You will find instructions below this article to help you. If you find that manual Search.smartmediatabsearch.com removal is too complex for you, employ professional removal software. Those programs are designed to erase Search.smartmediatabsearch.com and similar unwanted programs. This would also be the quickest option because it would locate the hijacker much faster.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Search.smartmediatabsearch.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Search.smartmediatabsearch.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Search.smartmediatabsearch.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Search.smartmediatabsearch.com and related programs.
Remove Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Search.smartmediatabsearch.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Search.smartmediatabsearch.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Search.smartmediatabsearch.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.