About this threat
Search.societycake.com is a dubious website, made to be your homepage by a browser hijacker. This particular hijacker seems to affect only Mac users. Browser hijackers are not malicious but they are not useful either. They change browser’s settings, set their promoted domains as your homepage and new tabs, and then proceed to redirect you to sponsored websites. Those redirects will happen via a search engine, which has been set as your default. It should be noted that while hijackers are not malicious themselves, they are capable of leading you to malicious content, which could result in a malware infection. This is why you should not keep hijackers installed. Delete Search.societycake.com. And you need to familiarize yourself with how hijackers manage to enter systems in the first place, which is via freeware bundles.
How do hijackers spread?
You obtained the hijacker when you were installing freeware. It must have been attached to freeware as an extra offer and you did not notice. To prevent these kinds of unwanted installations in the future, you need to pay close attention to how you install programs. If possible, access Advanced or Custom settings during setup and you will be able to see if anything has been added. If there is something, you need to deselect it. Simply uncheck the boxes if they appear and only then proceed with the installation. Downloading programs with questionable reputation or from dubious sources is not recommended because you could end up with all kinds of unwanted programs. If you want to avoid having to remove Search.societycake.com or other kinds of threats, always pay attention and use Advanced settings.
Why uninstall Search.societycake.com?
Since the hijacker will change your browser’s settings the moment it enters your computer, you will notice the infection right away. Every time you open your browsers, a weird site will load and that is because it has been set as your homepage and new tabs on all popular browsers, including Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Those alterations will be irreversible unless you first delete Search.societycake.com, which you’ll want to do quickly anyway. Interacting with your new homepage is not recommended because the provided search engine will most likely insert sponsored content into the results and you might be redirected. Do bear in mind that searches you perform via browser address bar will go through the same search engine. Hijackers want to redirect you because that is how they generate income. More traffic for a website means more money for owners. The biggest problem with this is that you could be redirected to malicious sites and end up with malware. Thus, remove Search.societycake.com.
In order to fully uninstall Search.societycake.com, you may need to obtain anti-spyware software. Download one that suits your Mac and scan your computer. If it locates the threat, allow it to get rid of it. If you go with manual Search.societycake.com removal, you will have to find the hijacker yourself. There will be instructions below to help you.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Search.societycake.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Search.societycake.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Search.societycake.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Search.societycake.com and related programs.
Remove Search.societycake.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Search.societycake.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Search.societycake.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Search.societycake.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Search.societycake.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Search.societycake.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Search.societycake.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Search.societycake.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Search.societycake.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Search.societycake.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
Incoming search terms:
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.