About this threat
smarteasymaps is a potentially unwanted program (PUP), more specifically a browser hijacker, that may sneak into your computer without permission. It’s also advertised as an extension that will provide quick access to various maps, so you may have installed it yourself without looking into it too much. If you don’t recall allowing it to install, you got it when installing some other program. It had the hijacker attached to it, and you did not notice, which means you were unable to deselect it. When they go not deselected, they install alongside the program, and you may not even notice.
Hijackers aren’t dangerous computer infections, most users find them more annoying than anything. However, that does not mean they are harmless. First of all, it will make changes to your browser so that you are stuck with the hijacker’s promoted site as your homepage/new tabs. These changes can be made without the explicit permission of the user, and may be difficult to reverse. Hijackers intend to redirect users to sponsored sites, so that their owners can make revenue. In some cases, those redirects could also lead to malicious sites, where malware may be lurking. No reason to put up with it if you didn’t install it willingly. If you don’t know how to delete smarteasymaps, proceed to the end of the article for instructions.
Avoiding these kinds of infections in the future
If you don’t recall installing it yourself, it entered via freeware bundles. Try to remember any recent program that you installed, it probably came with one of them. In these situations, hijackers are attached in a way that allows them to install alongside. To prevent them from doing so, you need to deselect them. This can be done in Advanced or Custom settings. Choose those settings when you install a program, and all attached offers should become visible. All you need to do is uncheck the boxes. Afterwards, you can continue installing the program. While you will not pick up serious infections this way, the minor ones are still troublesome to deal with, so it’s easier to avoid them.
Why uninstall smarteasymaps?
The extension will supposedly give you easy access to various maps. It will also make changes to your browser’s settings so that you have its promoted site as your homepage. This may happen on all browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. And like we have mentioned before, the changes will be irreversible until you get rid of the hijacker. The website may provide various links to websites and a search engine, which we do not recommend using. The search engine is probably inserting sponsored content into the results so that you would be redirected to certain sites. The owners have employed the hijackers to generate traffic for them. The sites are unlikely to have much to do with what you were searching for so if you are redirected to one those sites, you will know. Some of those sites could even be malicious, and that may result in a malware infection. It may also be following your browsing, collecting information about what sites you visit, your search queries or your IP addresses. That data may be shared with third-parties later on. If you didn’t install the hijacker, there is no need to put up with its changes.
It should be fairly easy to remove smarteasymaps, albeit a bit time-consuming. You can do it manually and automatically, although we recommend the latter for those who have little experience with computers. Obtain anti-spyware software and have it take care of the infection for you. If you would prefer to do it yourself, you can find instructions below this article to help you. After the process is complete, you can change back the browser’s settings.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove SmartEasyMapsUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall SmartEasyMaps. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like SmartEasyMaps and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall SmartEasyMaps and related programs.
Remove SmartEasyMaps from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall SmartEasyMaps from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete SmartEasyMaps from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove SmartEasyMaps from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for SmartEasyMaps or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete SmartEasyMaps from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase SmartEasyMaps from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove SmartEasyMaps from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall SmartEasyMaps from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable SmartEasyMaps and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.