What is Startfenster.com?
Startfenster.com is a German search engine and a browser hijacker. If you constantly get redirected to Startfenster.com when you open your browser, a browser hijacker has infected your computer. Which you must have accidentally installed along with freeware. Thankfully, it’s not a malicious computer virus and will not put your computer in direct danger. The reason browser hijackers exists is to redirect users to sponsored websites. In order to find out how they do that, continue reading this article. They are not useful to you and can even expose you to danger. Which is why we suggest you remove Startfenster.com from your computer as soon as possible.
Why should I delete Startfenster.com?
If you got infected with this browser hijacker, then you need to start paying more attention to how you install something. Browser hijackers are usually attached to freeware and users unknowingly give them the permission to install. This happens when users use Default settings. Those settings do not allow you to see if anything is attached to freeware and if there is something, you yourself allow them to install by choosing those settings. If you want to avoid that, choose Advanced or Custom settings. Those settings will show you all added items and if you do not want them, just deselect them and they will not install.
When Startfenster.com infects your computer, it might alter your browser’s settings and set its domain as your homepage, new tabs and search engine. It does all that without your permission and it might even prevent you from changing the settings back unless you first uninstall Startfenster.com. It might be able to attach itself to Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome and Safari. So no matter which browser you use, it will redirect you to Startfenster.com. The search engine might insert a lot of sponsored content into the search results and you could be redirected to a sponsored website. You could also be led to a dangerous domain and end up accidentally downloading a malicious computer virus. So while Startfenster.com does not put your computer in direct danger, it might still be able to expose you to unsafe content. We are sure there are much more reliable search engines, so we suggest you look into it. Also, delete Startfenster.com.
You have two ways in which you can remove Startfenster.com. If you have anti-malware software on your computer, use it to erase Startfenster.com. If you do not, you can manually uninstall Startfenster.com. If you choose the second option, you will need to locate and eliminate Startfenster.com related programs yourself.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove StartFenster.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall StartFenster.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like StartFenster.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall StartFenster.com and related programs.
Remove StartFenster.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall StartFenster.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete StartFenster.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove StartFenster.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for StartFenster.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete StartFenster.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase StartFenster.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove StartFenster.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall StartFenster.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable StartFenster.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.