What is StartPage.info?
StartPage.info is a search engine, considered to be a browser hijacker by malware specialists. It is not a malicious computer virus so do not worry if it appears on your browser suddenly. While the changes to your browser can certainly be irritating, StartPage.info will not harm your computer by itself. The search engine is advertised as the most private search engine and you can add it to your browser by visiting StartPage.info. However, it also spreads using software bundles. You may have installed it together with free software accidentally, which means you need to start paying more attention to how you install free software. While StartPage.info may do what it promises, it may also modify results to include sponsored content. After all, it is a free search engine, advertisements are to be expected. We do not suggest you keep this search engine on your computer as it may not have asked for your permission to enter. You should delete StartPage.info.
How does StartPage.info spread?
If you did not download it from StartPage.info, then it used software bundles to get into your computer. You need to start paying more attention to how you install free software. When installing anything, always read the information provided and check if nothing has been added to the software. If possible, always use Advanced (Custom) settings. If anything has been added to the freeware you are installing, you will be allowed to deselect everything in those settings. Do not rush through the installation process in Default settings as that is how you ended up with StartPage.info in the first place. Of course, it is up to you, but we recommend you remove StartPage.info as it used a sneaky method to infect your computer.
Why uninstall StartPage.info?
First of all, StartPage.info is not malicious. It will appear on your browser suddenly and make changes but it will not harm your computer in any way. StartPage.info can hijack all leading browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and once it does, it may be difficult to change the settings back to what they were. You may need to delete StartPage.info first. StartPage.info will be set as your homepage, new tabs and search engine so you will be directed to StartPage.info every time you open your browser. This search engine modifies your results so that you may not be personally identifiable and that is useful for some users but you should also be aware that browser hijackers can insert sponsored pages into the results. While it is not dangerous, we think you should uninstall StartPage.info as it may have entered your computer uninvited.
If you have decided to remove StartPage.inf, there are two ways to do this. You can attempt to terminate StartPage.info manually and that should not cause too much difficulty if you can find it. If you are struggling, you can employ professional removal software and have it take care of StartPage.info removal.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove StartPage.infoUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall StartPage.info. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like StartPage.info and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Plumbytes is a reliable security software that can provide you with a rich set of beneficial features. It belongs to a UK-based company called Plumbytes Software, LP. The application functions as a ma ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall StartPage.info and related programs.
Remove StartPage.info from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall StartPage.info from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete StartPage.info from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove StartPage.info from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for StartPage.info or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete StartPage.info from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase StartPage.info from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove StartPage.info from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall StartPage.info from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable StartPage.info and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.