Weather-genie is a browser hijacker that is advertised as a browser add-on that will show you weather related details. It may be able to do that, but it will also hijack your browser and make unwanted changes to it without your permission. If you did not download it yourself, it probably used free software to get in. When you install freeware, you need to make sure that you prevent all extra offers from installing. They are not malicious but will definitely not help your computer. The hijacker will try to lead you to sponsored websites because that is the primary reason why it exists. The more traffic those pages get, the more money owners will be able to make. And all you will get out of this is a weather report that may not be that accurate. It’s really not worth it. Uninstall weather-genie.
How did you get weather-genie?
You can probbaly get it from official sites but we highly doubt many users chose to install it willingly. They must have recently installed freeware and did not notice that it has weather-genie attached to it. Installing a program might seem like a trivial thing and close attention is not necessary but you would be surprised what kind of unwanted items might come with it. They will go unnoticed if you rush and use Default settings. This is why you need to pay close attention. After all, it is much easier to just deselect a couple of boxes than it would be to later delete weather-genie or similar. Just opt for Advanced or Custom settings and you will be able to deselect all extra offers.
Why remove weather-genie?
It will show you your local weather reports and that does seem useful but it’s not difficult to bookmark a weather forecast page and you would not need to to use some dubious websites. weather-genie may be able to affect all of the most popular browsers, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, so do not be surprised if you see search.weather-genie.com as your new homepage when you open them. These changes might also be performed without your permission and may be irreversible unless you first uninstall weather-genie. On your homepage, you will encounter a search engine and if you choose to use it, you may be shown sponsored results that could lead to completely unrelated sites. You could also unknowingly end up on dangerous sites where malware could be lurking. We strongly suggest you delete weather-genie for these reasons.
If you have experience with uninstalling programs, you can try to remove weather-genie manually. You should be okay as long as you can find it, and there will be removal instructions provided below to help. If you are struggling, automatic weather-genie removal is also an option. Just obtain professional removal software and allow it to erase weather-genie.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Weather GenieUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Weather Genie. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Weather Genie and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
How Kaspersky Lab Works? Without a doubt, Kaspersky is one of the top anti-viruses available at the moment. According to computer experts, the software is currently the best at locating and destroyin ...
Step 1. Uninstall Weather Genie and related programs.
Remove Weather Genie from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Weather Genie from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Weather Genie from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Weather Genie from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Weather Genie or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Weather Genie from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Weather Genie from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Weather Genie from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Weather Genie from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Weather Genie and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.