About this scam
Windows Product Key Expired Scam pop-ups are likely caused by an adware infection. If you were shown those pop-ups once or twice when visiting questionable websites, it should be nothing more than a redirect. If it repeatedly appears, you could be dealing with adware. By itself, it’s not a malicious infection but because it could expose users to malicious content or lead to financial loss, you need to get rid of it right away.
It will make ads that will try to fool you into believing that you need to active your Windows key, and you can do that by dialing the provided number. This is a typical tech-support scam and is merely making up problems. You do not need to activate your Windows key, you just need to delete Windows Product Key Expired Scam adware. Do not call the supposed tech-support number because you would be connected to professional scammers who could be very convincing. We will explain in more detail in the below paragraphs, but you essentially got the infection because you were inattentive when installing a program. It’s not difficult to block these unwanted installations, and we will explain how.
Why are you getting the pop-ups?
Adware is generally attached to freeware as an extra offer and is hidden to prevent users from noticing. Those who rush installations and are too lazy to check unwanted programs will end up installing adware and other kinds of infections. When you install something, you must always pay attention to the process, read the provided information fully and opt for Advanced or Custom settings. They, unlike Default, will make the offers visible, which will allow you to deselect them. It takes seconds to click on Advanced and to uncheck a few boxes, so you have no excuse to not install programs correctly. If you want your computer to be clean, you have to be more careful about what you install and how you do it.
The infection will generate pop-ups that will look pretty convincing, if not for the fact that they appear in your browser. It will suddenly pop up, prevent you from closing it and inform you that your Windows product key has been expired. The pop-ups could appear in all popular browsers you have installed, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. They will look like a similar window that you can find in Control Panel (Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> System) which may convince users it’s legitimate. However, the phone number provided gives it away. A message may appear claiming that you need to call the number immediately, and you will see the number a couple of times in the imposter System window. Remember, Microsoft will never ask you to call them, especially not this way. Neither will Apple or any other legitimate company. No matter how legitimate it may look, it’s not. If you were to dial the number, you would be connected to professional con artists. They would ask to gain access to your computer, do some fancy-looking but useless ‘tech-support’ actions, and then ask you to pay. And it wouldn’t be a small sum. Tech-support scams ask for hundreds of dollars, basically for nothing. If you’re not convinced it’s a scam, go to System and check the information there. There will be no phone number and no problems there. So just uninstall Windows Product Key Expired Scam adware, and the pop-ups should stop.
Windows Product Key Expired Scam removal
You have two ways to remove Windows Product Key Expired Scam, depending on how experienced you are with computers. If you would prefer to do it yourself, follow the below provided instructions to get rid of the threat. If you are struggling, obtain anti-spyware software and have it take care of everything. If you fully terminate the infection, the ads should stop.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Windows Product Key Expired ScamUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Windows Product Key Expired Scam. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like Windows Product Key Expired Scam and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Windows Product Key Expired Scam and related programs.
Remove Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Windows Product Key Expired Scam or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Windows Product Key Expired Scam from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Windows Product Key Expired Scam from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Windows Product Key Expired Scam and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.