Search.directionsandmap.com is a browser hijacker that may have entered your computer via software bundles. If you have recently installed free software, you may have missed Search.directionsandmap.com being attached to it. This is not uncommon and many users end up with all kinds of unwanted applications because they did not pay enough attention to how they installed software. Fortunately, hijackers are not malicious.
They enter your computer for the purpose of redirecting you to sponsored sites so that it can generate pay-per-click revenue for those sites. It will also change your browser’s settings without your permission and prevent you from undoing those changes. Some hijackers are also capable of exposing users to malicious content. You could end up with malware on your system if you are not careful. We suggest you remove Search.directionsandmap.com as soon as possible.
How does Search.directionsandmap.com spread?
Browser hijackers spread with the help of software bundles. No one would willingly install a hijacker knowing what it is, so another method is used. The hijacker is attached to free software as an optional item but it is set to install together with the software. So if you want to prevent it, you need to deselect it during installation. You can do that by choosing Advanced (Custom) settings during the freeware installation. You will see a list of what has been added and all you have to do is uncheck the boxes of those added items. Do not rush through the freeware installation process in Default settings because that is why you need to delete Search.directionsandmap.com now.
Why uninstall Search.directionsandmap.com?
If Search.directionsandmap.com has been suddenly set as your homepage and new tabs, you have a hijacker on your hands. All browsers are affected (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) and you cannot undo the setting modifications until you delete Search.directionsandmap.com from the system. If you use the provided search engine, you will encounter a lot of results that lead to sponsored websites. This is typical browser hijacker behavior, they aim to generate traffic for those sites and make income that way. The whole purpose of a hijacker is to make money. It is not there to help you. It may even lead you to questionable pages where malware could be obtained. If you are not careful, you could accidentally allow a virus to get into your computer. Uninstall Search.directionsandmap.com.
In order to remove Search.directionsandmap.com, you may need to get professional removal software. The program would be able to take care of Search.directionsandmap.com removal and you would not need to do anything. If you choose to erase Search.directionsandmap.com manually, you will have to locate the hijacker yourself and that is the most troublesome part as it is hidden. After you eliminate Search.directionsandmap.com, you will be able to go back to usual browsing.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Search.directionsandmap.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Search.directionsandmap.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Search.directionsandmap.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Search.directionsandmap.com and related programs.
Remove Search.directionsandmap.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Search.directionsandmap.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Search.directionsandmap.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Search.directionsandmap.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Search.directionsandmap.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Search.directionsandmap.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Search.directionsandmap.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Search.directionsandmap.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Search.directionsandmap.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Search.directionsandmap.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.