What is SearchLock.com?
SearchLock.com is promoted as an anonymous search engine that can help you keep your searches private. It is presented in the Chrome Web Store as a part of the SearchLock extension, which is supposed to stop the tracking of your online searches. Unfortunately, that is not what the hijacker actually does. The main problem with the extension is that it is ad-supported. This means that it can flood you with various advertisements no matter where you go online. It will also cause redirects to its sponsor sites and add sponsored links to your searches. If you want to eliminate the unnecessary content from your browsers, you should terminate SearchLock.com right away.
How does SearchLock.com work?
Although SearchLock extension can be acquired via Chrome Web Store, it is also possible that that is not how it ended up in your system. The hijacker gets distributed through free third party software. If you recently installed freeware without paying attention to its additional offers, you agreed to the modifications yourself. Once it takes over your browsers, the hijacker replaces your home page and default search engine with SearchLock.com. This site presents you with a search box, which shows you results that contain sponsored links.
As we have already mentioned, you will see commercial data on other sites that you visit as well. The adverts will appear in the form of pop-ups, coupons, hyperlinks, banners, and so on. The hijacker will also cause redirects in the middle of your browsing. These activities will slow down your Internet surfing and expose you to online security threats. Moreover, the hijacker itself will track your cookies and collect data about your online activities. This data may be shared with third parties. It is clear that its description is completely unreliable. We advise that you waste no time on it, and delete SearchLock.com as soon as you can.
How to remove SearchLock.com?
Luckily, SearchLock.com removal should not be too complicated. You can complete it manually or automatically. If you choose to erase SearchLock.com manually, you will have to uninstall the hijacker’s related program from your PC, delete its extension from browsers, and fix your home page and default search engine. Instructions on how to complete these steps are presented below the article. If, on the other hand, you choose to eliminate SearchLock.com automatically, you will have to implement a security tool. You can download the anti-malware from our page and use it to scan and clean your system. It will not only get rid of SearchLock.com and other detected threats, but also keep your computer safeguarded in the future.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove SearchLock.comUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall SearchLock.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like SearchLock.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Step 1. Uninstall SearchLock.com and related programs.
Remove SearchLock.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall SearchLock.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete SearchLock.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove SearchLock.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for SearchLock.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete SearchLock.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase SearchLock.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove SearchLock.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall SearchLock.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable SearchLock.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.