Seeks.ru is a browser hijacker, promoting a questionable search engine. Browser hijackers are one of those unwanted programs that infect your computer and hijack your browsers. Browser hijackers are not usually regarded as malicious threats as they do not directly harm computers. However, they are rather annoying as they change browser’s settings without your explicit permission.
Hijackers aim to redirect users to sponsored content as that is how they generate income. This does not benefit you in any way as your browsing sessions will only be disrupted and not improved. You could also end up with a serious malware infection if you not careful. This is why we suggest you uninstall Seeks.ru. The reason you have the hijacker on your computer is because you installed freeware that had Seeks.ru attached to it and did not pay sufficient attention.
How is Seeks.ru distributed?
Browser hijackers all use the same methods to spread and that is referred to as the bundling method. This essentially means that Seeks.ru was attached to some free software that you installed. When installing free programs you get from the Internet, you need to be careful of added items because they are set to install alongside. In order to prevent them from doing so, you need to use Advanced or Custom settings and deselect what has been added. Added items will only be visible in those settings so do not rush in Default settings, unless you want to end up having to delete Seeks.ru or similar again.
Should you remove Seeks.ru?
As soon as the hijacker enters your computer, it will take over your browser and alter settings. Every time you open your browser, be it Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, you will be redirected to Seeks.ru. These setting changes can only be undone after you uninstall Seeks.ru. Until then, you are stuck with it. The hijacker promotes a search engine that is highly questionable. Oftentimes, browser hijackers exist to redirect users to sponsored content so that it could generate income. This is why you may be seeing weird results when you search for something using the provided search engine. We do not recommend clicking on any of the results as some of them could be malicious. If you were to enter an infected web page, you could end up downloading the malware that is roaming around it. Allowing Seeks.ru to remain may lead to a serious malware infection. To avoid trouble, we strongly recommend you delete Seeks.ru.
If you choose to remove Seeks.ru, you have two options. You can either erase Seeks.ru yourself or you could allow credible anti-malware software to take care of Seeks.ru removal for you. The latter option is recommended as the program would do everything for you. If you opt to eliminate Seeks.ru yourself, you are welcome to use the provided instructions below this article. After you terminate Seeks.ru, you can go change your browser’s settings and return to usual browsing.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Seeks.ruUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Seeks.ru. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Seeks.ru and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Seeks.ru and related programs.
Remove Seeks.ru from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Seeks.ru from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Seeks.ru from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Seeks.ru from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Seeks.ru or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Seeks.ru from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Seeks.ru from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Seeks.ru from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Seeks.ru from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Seeks.ru and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.