StartSearch is a classic example of a browser hijacker, also known as a redirect virus. A browser hijacker enters uninvited and starts making changes to your browser. It usually is attached to free software as an extra item that you, in theory, should be able to choose to install. However, it is hidden and set to install, so if you do not notice it, it will install alongside the freeware.
When dealing with hijackers, there is no need to be too worried as they are pretty harmless themselves. However, they aim to redirect you to sponsored pages and do not care if those pages are safe. By allowing a hijacker to stay on your computer, you could be risking infecting your computer with malware. We really do suggest you take care of the problem immediately and delete StartSearch.
Why remove StartSearch?
First of all, you must understand how these situations come about. When installing freeware, pay attention to whether something is attached to the program. It would not be unusual if there was, as a lot of free programs come with extra items, such as adware and browser hijackers. To stop them from installing, all you have to do is deselect them. This is done by using Advanced or Custom settings during freeware installation and unchecking the boxes of those items there. That is all you have to do. You can proceed to install the free program then. Nothing will good will be gained by rushing the process in Default settings so do not use them.
As soon as the hijacker installs onto your computer, it will make certain alterations to your browsers, be it Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox. StartSearch will become your homepage and new tabs, possibly without your permission. Trying to change the settings back might be pointless because it will just alter them again. This is why you first need to uninstall StartSearch. If you try to use the provided search engine, you will be taken to Saferbrowser Yahoo Search. Do not be surprised if you see a lot of sponsored sites among the legitimate results because the hijacker aims to generate traffic for those sites, which in turn would make money. This can be highly irritating, especially because you could be redirected to dangerous pages, and that could lead to a serious malware infection. Malware can become a rather serious issue so we do not recommend risking it. Delete StartSearch, and you will be able to go back to usual browsing.
StartSearch removal should not cause problems but just in case, you will find a guide to help you remove StartSearch below this article. The biggest problem you could encounter is finding the hijacker because it could be hiding. You can also choose to uninstall StartSearch using anti-malware software. That would be the easiest way because the program would do everything.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove StartSearchUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall StartSearch. Trial version of SpyHunter provides detection of computer threats like StartSearch and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall StartSearch and related programs.
Remove StartSearch from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall StartSearch from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete StartSearch from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove StartSearch from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for StartSearch or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete StartSearch from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase StartSearch from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove StartSearch from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall StartSearch from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable StartSearch and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.