About this threat
Centurylink.net is a suspicious website, promoted by a browser hijacker. If it keeps loading whenever you open your browser, you definitely have a browser hijacker on your hands. It has changed your browser’s settings and set itself as your homepage and you are now unable to get rid of it.
This is what makes browser hijackers so annoying. It’s also what makes the infection very easy to spot. It should be noted that it’s not going to harm your computer directly. Thus it’s not referred to as malware. The website will advertise a search engine but we suggest you stay aware from it. It may insert sponsored content into the results so that you would be redirected to sponsored websites. This could also lead to a malware infections so remove centurylink.net. The spread methods will be explained in the following paragraph but in short, it spreads via software bundles.
How does the hijacker spread?
Browser hijackers spread using the bundling method, which means that the threat is attached to free software as an additional offer. Those offers are optional but in a lot of cases, users simply do not notice them. When you install freeware, you must always pay attention to the process. Unless you enjoy having to delete centurylink.net or similar over and over again. Choose Advanced or Custom settings, instead of Default and you will be able to see all extra offers. Those settings will also allow you to deselect everything, which will prevent those unwanted installations. Make sure you always deselect everything.
Should you uninstall centurylink.net?
The hijacker will change your browser’s settings, which is the main sign on an infection. It will set its promoted website as your homepage and new tabs, as well as change your default search engine. This is done without your consent and you will not be able to undo the setting changes unless you first remove centurylink.net. Your new homepage will have click-bait articles and a search engine. We do not suggest engaging with either of those things. If you click on those articles who knows to what websites you could be taken. And the search engine will insert sponsored content into the results so that you would be redirected to sponsored pages. After all, that is how all browser hijackers act. They aim to redirect users so that income could be generated for the owners of those sites. Unfortunately, you could also be redirected to dangerous pages where malware could be waiting for you to enter. If you are unfortunate enough to encounter malicious software, it could end up downloading onto your computer. This is why we suggest you delete centurylink.net.
There are two ways to eliminate hijackers. If you don’t want to bother with manual centurylink.net removal, obtain professional anti-spyware software. You can uninstall centurylink.net manually but you will have to find the hijacker yourself.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove Centurylink.netUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall Centurylink.net. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Centurylink.net and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
Reimage Repair is a legitimate utility that can be used to remove virus damage from your computer thus improving its working ability. The application comes in two different versions: the full version, ...
Why You Need to Download Spyhunter 4? Every day malware becomes more and more powerful and sneaky. It evolves at unbelievable speed while hackers come up with new ways to avoid detection by security ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Centurylink.net and related programs.
Remove Centurylink.net from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Centurylink.net from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Centurylink.net from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Centurylink.net from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Centurylink.net or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Centurylink.net from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Centurylink.net from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Centurylink.net from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Centurylink.net from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Centurylink.net and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.