About this threat
Winsnare is a potentially unwanted program (PUP) that is able to transfer data logs from your computer to a remote location. These kinds of programs usually enter computers via free software bundles and you end up installing them yourself. This is why you need to be more attentive when you install free software. The PUP will not directly harm your computer but you need to get rid of it right away.
Otherwise, your information could be at risk. It also seems to function as an adware program, which means you might be seeing more ads than you are used to. And adware generated ads can be very intrusive and annoying. Some adware can expose users to malware and that could lead to a serious infection. Remove winsnare if you notice it on your system.
How does the threat spread?
Just like any other PUP, this one was attached to free software as an extra offer. A lot of users end up missing those additional offers during installation because they rush installation processes and do not bother to check if anything has been attached to the program they are installing. You need to use Advanced or Custom settings when you install freeware because only there will you be able to see if anything has been added. Those settings will also allow you to uncheck everything added. Make sure you always uncheck everything because it much easier to do so than it would be to later delete winsnare.
What does it do?
The PUP will mostly act as adware, which means advertisements will increase and your screen will be filled with them. It’s likely that all browsers will be affected, including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox so you will not be able to ignore the problem for long. It’s likely that you will not know what’s inhabiting your computer at first and you can check for this threat in Task Manager. Look for any weird processes, such as WinSnare.dll. If it’s there, uninstall winsnare immediately. Do not engage with any ads while this threat is on your computer because you could be exposed to unreliable or even malicious content. The most worrying part of it is its ability to track your information and then send it to a remote server. Adware tracking your data is nothing new, but it’s usually just general information, such as browser type, search queries, etc. This PUP might have access to your private data, which means cyber crooks behind it could get it, seeing as this threat can transfer data. If you care about your privacy, you will remove winsnare.
We strongly suggest you uninstall winsnare using anti-spyware software. The program would make sure to delete winsnare fully and it could not renew itself again. On the other hand, if you attempt manual winsnare removal, you could end up missing something and it could appear again.
Automated Removal Tools
Download Removal Toolto remove WinSnare VirusUse our recommended removal tool to uninstall WinSnare Virus. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like WinSnare Virus and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
How Kaspersky Lab Works? Without a doubt, Kaspersky is one of the top anti-viruses available at the moment. According to computer experts, the software is currently the best at locating and destroyin ...
Step 1. Uninstall WinSnare Virus and related programs.
Remove WinSnare Virus from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall WinSnare Virus from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete WinSnare Virus from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove WinSnare Virus from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for WinSnare Virus or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete WinSnare Virus from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase WinSnare Virus from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove WinSnare Virus from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall WinSnare Virus from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable WinSnare Virus and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.