Surfshark VPN does still work with Netflix in 2023. If you’re looking for a VPN to unblock streaming services like Netflix, Surfshark is a great choice. It’s secure, fast, reliable, and very affordable.
It’s not uncommon for users to use a search engine like Google to find a movie they want to watch and see a result leading to Netflix, only to then find out that the movie is not available in their region. A lot of content is geographically restricted, which, understandably, annoys users. Users not in the US are the ones who suffer the most from these restrictions as the US library has, by far, the biggest selection of content.
Geo-restrictions placed on streaming platforms are the result of licensing agreements, which streaming services do not necessarily have full control over. Nonetheless, users want to bypass these restrictions. VPNs are great tools for this because they allow users to spoof their locations and appear anywhere in the world.
Surfshark is one of the best VPNs to use when trying to unblock Netflix and its geo-restricted content. Not only is it able to bypass the geo-restrictions, but it also offers great speeds, which means there will be no buffering.
How to use Surfshark with Netflix
If you’ve decided to use Surfshark to unblock Netflix, you will be able to do it with ease.
- Download and install Surfshark. We recommend downloading it from the official website.
- Create an account and buy a subscription if necessary.
- Open Surfshark and connect to a server in a country of your choice.
- Open Netflix and you will be shown that country’s Netflix library.
Does Surfshark unblock Netflix’s US library?
One of the most common questions users have when choosing a VPN is whether it can unblock Netflix’s US library. That is understandable considering that the US library has by far the most content. And yes, Surfshark does unblock Netflix’s US library. All you have to do is connect to a US server. It can also unblock other libraries, including Japan, Germany, Australia, India, Italy, Mexico, France, the Netherlands, and the UK.
Surfshark Netflix not working?
Unfortunately, Netflix is not exactly thrilled that users use VPNs to access its content, which is why it tries its best to block its usage. It can sometimes detect when a user’s IP address belongs to a VPN, which results in errors.
One of the most common errors VPN users encounter when trying to stream is the “Oops, something went wrong…Streaming Error”.
“Oops, something went wrong… Streaming Error. You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again.”
You may also encounter the Error Code M7111-5059 issue.
You seem to be using an unblocker or proxy. Please turn off any of these services and try again. Error Code M7111-5059.”
- Switch to a different Surfshark server
When an IP address gets detected as belonging to a VPN, you will have to stop using it for streaming Netflix. But all you have to do is switch to a different server in the same country. Surfshark has a large server network so you should be able to quickly find a server that works.
- Try clearing your browser’s cookies/cache
This solution is relevant if you are still seeing your local content even when connected to Surfshark. This can happen because Netflix could be getting your real location from cookies/cache stored in your browser. Cookies contain all kinds of information, and that includes locations. So what you need to do is clear your browser’s cookies.
Clear cookies on Google Chrome:
- Google Chrome -> Menu (three dots in the top right corner) -> More Tools -> Clear browsing data.
- Tick the boxes that say “Cookies and other site data” and “Cached images and files”.
- Select “All time” from the drop-down Time range menu.
- Click Clear data.
Clear cookies on Mozilla Firefox:
- Mozilla Firefox -> Menu (the three bars in the top right corner) -> Settings -> Privacy and Security.
- Cookies and Site data -> Clear Data.
- Select what you want to delete and click Clear now.
Clear cookies on Safari:
- Safari -> Preferences -> Privacy -> Manage Website Data.
- Click Remove all to delete all cookies.
- Click Done.
Clear cookies on Microsoft Edge:
- Microsoft Edge -> Menu (the three dots on the top right corner) -> Cookies and site permissions -> Manage and delete cookies and site data.
- Click See all cookies and site data.
- Click Remove all.
- Switch to a different protocol
If you are unable to stream Netflix despite trying the above solutions, you can try changing the tunneling protocol. You can do so in Surfshark’s settings. Simply switch to a different one and then try using Netflix.
- Contact Customer Support
If you’re still unable to make Surfshark work with Netflix, contact Surfshark’s customer service. They should be able to help with your issue.