What is Searchlee.com
Searchlee.com is a regular browser hijacker that makes unwanted changes to browser’s settings and tries to redirect to sponsored websites. While not dangerous, Searchlee.com is a very annoying infection because of the changes it does. However, because of its redirection tendencies, hijackers aren’t something that should be ignored, even if they’re not directly dangerous. They also prevent you from doing any changes to browser’s settings, which can be incredibly annoying.
Searchlee.com browser hijacker’s main intention is to redirect you to sponsored websites. It will try to do that by forcing a questionable search engine onto to you. Results generated by that search engine will contain sponsored links which would lead you to all kinds of suspicious websites. You could be redirected to pages that promote scams or hide malware. If you’re not careful, you could end up infecting your computer with something serious. The sooner you delete Searchlee.com from your computer, the better.
If you’re not sure how the hijacker managed to get into your computer, you likely install free software incorrectly. Free programs have to be installed in a certain way to avoid installing additional things alongside. Continue reading to learn how to install freeware correctly.
Browser hijackers install via software bundling
Software bundling is how browser hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) install on users computers unnoticed. Software bundling is essentially adding additional offers to free software in a way that allows them to install alongside automatically. So when you’re installing a free program that has something attached to it, that something will install alongside unless you manually stop it. The while the offers are optional they are initially hidden from users.
To correctly install freeware, always pay attention to the process. Most importantly, when given the option, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Those settings will make all offers visible, and you will be able to deselect all of them. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes. Once you deselect the offers, you can continue installing the program.
The majority of free programs, especially the ones you download from those free program websites, will come with these extra offers. If you don’t deselect them, your computer will quickly fill up with junk programs that can be difficult to get rid of. So unless you want to deal with infections like Searchlee.com browser hijacker again, always deselect what’s added to a program.
How dangerous is Searchlee.com?
When a browser hijacker installs, it will immediately change browser’s settings. Searchlee.com will be set as your homepage/new tabs, and you will be forced to use a different search engine. It will affect all popular browsers, including Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. Once changes have been implemented, they will be irreversible while the hijacker remains installed on your computer. You will need to remove Searchlee.com first before you can go back to normal browsing.
The site that gets set as your homepage is very basic as it only has a search engine box. If you try to search for something, nothing will happen so at least you won’t get redirected to dangerous websites. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t get rid of the hijacker, however, as it could start redirecting you at any time. After all, the main purpose of hijackers is to redirect to sponsored websites. The redirects are the most dangerous thing about hijackers too, as you could end up on all kinds of pages. Some of them could be hiding malware or promoting various scams.
The easiest way to delete Searchlee.com browser hijacker would be to use anti-virus software. The program would not only uninstall Searchlee.com but also change back your browser’s settings without you needing to do anything. Once the hijacker is gone from your computer, you should be able to go back to normal browsing.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Searchlee.comUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Searchlee.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Searchlee.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Searchlee.com and related programs.
Remove Searchlee.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Searchlee.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Searchlee.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Searchlee.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Searchlee.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Searchlee.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Searchlee.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Searchlee.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Searchlee.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Searchlee.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.