Wp20.ru is a browser hijacker targeting Mac computers
Wp20.ru is a redirect virus that mainly targets Mac devices, better known as a browser hijacker. They are rather minor infections that should not cause direct damage to your Mac. Do keep in mind, however, that hijackers lead you to suspicious websites so they could generate traffic and profit, which is why they may be somewhat damaging. Hijackers use rather sly techniques to install but once they’re in, their presence become very obvious. You’ll observe that your browser is acting oddly, search results will have sponsored content and you will be randomly redirected. For users with little knowledge of system infections, the browser behaving oddly will not automatically be a sign of an infection. But a simple google search of the symptoms and the site they are redirected to would point to a hijacker being responsible.
In addition to the weird redirects, hijackers also modify browser’s settings. You’ll be redirected to a new homepage/new tabs when you launch your browser, and undoing these changes may be hard. The hijacker generally makes those modifications so it can redirect you.
Hijackers cannot install by themselves since they aren’t actually malware, despite what many users think. Generally, users don’t even know they give permission for them to install themselves. Hijackers, among other infections like adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) are added to free software as extra items, and along with the freeware, users end up installing the items that have been attached as well. We will clarify how you could avoid installing the undesirable programs in the next section of the report, so do continue reading.
You should eliminate Wp20.ru, the quicker the better because while it’s a minor one, it’s still an infection. Not only will your usual browsing be interrupted, malware, scams among other damaging content may be forced upon you.
Browser hijacker spread methods
We have mentioned this above, but free software is frequently used by hijackers to install. This is called program bundling, and hijackers are added as extra items to free software, and can install alongside. At first, the items are covered and are preselected to install by default, which means users have to manually prevent it from installing together with the freeware. The installations are quite easily preventable, however, if you follow program installation processes and pay attention.
Picking Advanced (Custom) settings is vital when given the choice during free programs installation. Otherwise, the items will remain hidden. However, in Advanced, the offers won’t only be unhidden, but you will be able to deselect them. Unchecking those items will not allow them to install. Once threats are already installed, uninstalling them is increasingly more time consuming, compared to preventing their installation initially. Furthermore, if you pay attention during program installation, you will prevent worthless applications from filling up your device.
Is the hijacker dangerous
Soon after infection, browser hijackers start redirecting to weird websites no matter which browser you are using, whether it is Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, which helps immediately notice that an infection is present. Your browser’s settings will be modified by the redirect virus so that the website its promoting is set as the homepage, and whenever you open your browser, that’s the page you will see. You will also notice that modifications to the search engine have been made. The hijacker will display you modified search results by redirecting you to its sponsored page every time you search via browser address bar. Since search results will include sponsored content, they will possibility not match what you were searching for. The prime purpose of a hijacker is to generate traffic and income, which is why you are redirected to those sponsored sites. A weird redirect is obviously very irritating, but take into consideration that the web pages might also be damaging. Interacting with sponsored or advertisement content until you remove the hijacker isn’t recommended. Keep in mind that the web pages you will be led to will be unsafe because hijackers do not review whether their sponsored sites are secure. Those websites may be advertising scams or hosting malware. So even if hijackers are not directly harmful to the computer, do not keep them installed.
You might not be aware of this immediately, but hijackers also snoop on you, they gather information about your searches, content you interact with, the sites you visit, your IP address and all types of other data. It is very likely that unknown third-parties would get the data and use it as well.
In short, the hijacker is considered to be quite troublesome because its installation is basically unauthorized, it modifies browser’s settings, and redirects to potentially damaging pages. The quicker you remove Wp20.ru, the better.
If you want the easy way to remove Wp20.ru, use anti-spyware programs. The whole purpose of spyware removal programs is to help users deal with these types of infections. However, you may also attempt manual Wp20.ru deletion, as long as you know what to do. If you successfully uninstall Wp20.ru, you should have little issues restoring your browser’s settings.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Wp20.ruUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Wp20.ru. Trial version of provides detection of computer threats like Wp20.ru and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Wp20.ru and related programs.
Remove Wp20.ru from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Wp20.ru from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Wp20.ru from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Wp20.ru from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Wp20.ru or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Wp20.ru from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Wp20.ru from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Wp20.ru from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Wp20.ru from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Wp20.ru and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.