About this hijacker
Mystartsearch.com is a questionable websites that will become your homepage if you have a certain browser hijacker installed. Hijackers aren’t considered to be malware nor are they particularly dangerous, but they can pretty annoying to deal with. They’re also classified as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). They change browser’s settings without permission and then aim to redirect you to sponsored websites in order to generate revenue from traffic.
There is no reason to put up with changes that you did not perform yourself, so do not tolerate programs behaving this way. These redirects are one of the reasons why hijackers can become dangerous. While it will not do direct harm, it can redirect you to a questionable website, where you might encounter dubious or even malicious content. For example, if you are led to a malicious site, you might end up with malware by the end of your visit. In addition, hijackers are known to collect information about users, sometimes even personal data. They could later share it with unfamiliar parties without your permission.
Hijackers have this irritating habit of installing without permission, along with other programs. This is referred to as the bundling method, and usually involves hijackers being attached to freeware as extra offers, which are preselected to install alongside the programs. Any program installed this way should not be allowed to remain and needs to be erased immediately. Therefore, you ought to delete Mystartsearch.com.
How does a hijacker install?
Browser hijackers come attached to freeware as extra offers. This is referred to as the bundling method. The offers are preselected and will install alongside the freeware. To prevent this from happening, you need to deselect the offers when installing freeware. Pay attention to the process and don’t just press ‘Next’ without actually reading the provided information. When given the option, choose Advanced (Custom) settings. The offers are hidden and you will need to choose Advanced settings to see them. Those settings will also permit you to deselect all the offers. All you really need to do is uncheck the boxes, and may then continue installing the program. You should do this with all programs you install as it will ensure that your computer is free of junk programs.
You may also want to avoid websites that host bundled programs, and download from official websites instead.
Should you uninstall Mystartsearch.com?
We cannot force you to remove something but we do recommend that you carefully look into it before allowing it to stay. When the hijacker installs, it changes browser’s settings. Popular browsers you have installed (including Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox) will have a different site loading as the homepage, and you will be unable to undo these changes while the hijacker is still present.
The website that will be set as your homepage is pretty plain and only has a search box. If you decide to use it as your default search engine, be careful of sponsored websites. Hijackers aim to redirects users to sponsored websites in order to generate traffic, which makes revenue for site owners. Search results may be filled with links leading to questionable websites, which have little to do with what you were actually looking for. Not only is there no use in visiting them, you could also be be exposed to dangerous content. Therefore, before pressing on any of the links in search results, make sure you will be led to actually legitimate websites and not malware.
The hijacker will also collect certain kind of information, such as IP address, websites visited, search queries, etc. While it does not seem to collect personal information, we doubt you want a questionable hijacker to know anything about you. Therefore, consider eliminating the hijacker as soon as possible.
You can easily remove Mystartsearch.com manually. If you are unfamiliar with how to do this, you can scroll down for the instructions we have prepared. If you would prefer the automatic method, download anti-spyware software and have it take care of everything. Once the hijacker has been removed, you can change your browser’s settings back to normal.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Mystartsearch.comUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Mystartsearch.com. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Mystartsearch.com and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Mystartsearch.com and related programs.
Remove Mystartsearch.com from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Mystartsearch.com from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Mystartsearch.com from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Mystartsearch.com from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Mystartsearch.com or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Mystartsearch.com from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Mystartsearch.com from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Mystartsearch.com from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Mystartsearch.com from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Mystartsearch.com and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.