ConsoleProgram is a browser hijacker targeting Mac computers
ConsoleProgram browser hijacker is also called a redirect virus, and mainly targets Mac computers. They are quite minor infections that should not directly damage your Mac. It isn’t harmless, however, as it wants to generate traffic and revenue by redirecting you to questionable pages. While hijackers install secretly, they become instantly obvious after. You’ll be randomly redirected to sponsored web pages by your browser, and you will see sponsored content in your search results. Users who aren’t familiar with browser hijacker might not associate the weird behaviour with the infection. A simple search of the signs/site redirected to with Google normally points users in the correct direction.
You’ll notice that your browser’s settings are changed unauthorized as well, in addition to the redirects. Every time it’s launched, you browser will have a different homepage/new tabs, which might be difficult to modify. It is because they alter browser’s settings that hijackers can redirect you.
Plenty of users think that hijackers are malware or viruses, which is incorrect, meaning they cannot install by themselves. Users themselves install them, even if they don’t do it consciously. Pests like hijackers, adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) come as extra offers added to free software, and when users install said free programs, they end up installing the attached items as well. Carry on reading to find out how you can avoid these undesirable installations in the future.
Eliminate ConsoleProgram as soon as possible since while it is relatively minor, it’s still an infection. The hijacker won’t let you browse as normal but it might also expose you to dangerous content including malicious programs and scams.
Ways a hijacker installs
In most cases, hijackers are able to install because of free programs. That’s referred to program bundling, and it involves free programs with added extra items (hijackers, adware, etc). Those offers are hidden from users but they are preselected to install alongside, which makes program bundling a frowned upon installation method. Fortunately, preventing these unwanted installations is rather easy, if you pay attention when installing free software.
Above all else, pick Advanced (Custom) settings when installing free programs. If you pick Default mode, you’ll not notice the offers. However, in Advanced, what is been added will not only be unhidden, but you will be given the choice to deselect them. Deselecting the items is enough to block their installation. Avoiding unwanted installations initially takes seconds, but it takes ages to uninstall infections that have already been installed. You will also avoid installing a lot of junk by actually paying attention to how you’re installing programs.
What does the hijacker do
Not long after installation, redirect viruses begin to redirect you to random websites whether you are using Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, which makes them immediately noticeable. Your homepage and new tabs will be set to a web page the hijacker’s advertising, and every single time you open your browser, that is the web page you’ll be redirected to. Not only your homepage, but your default search engine will also be changed. Whenever you search via your browser address bar, the hijacker will redirect you to a site it is promoting and show you modified search results. Look out for for sponsored content being inserted among valid results. Users are redirected to those sponsored websites so that hijackers could generate income and traffic. This isn’t exactly safe, not to mention annoying. Until the redirect virus is no longer present, it’s not a great idea to engage with any sponsored or advertisement content. Keep in mind that the web pages you will be led to will be unsafe because hijackers don’t ensure that the sites are safe. A sponsored page could be prompting you to take part in a scam or install malware. Despite the fact that hijackers do not directly harm your computer, they should not be allowed to stay installed.
The hijacker will also compile data about you, including what you search for, what kind of content you interact with, the web pages you visit, your IP address, etc, it is basically spying on you. It is not unusual for hijackers to allow third-parties access to that information as well, which is likely to not be something you want.
If you’re still wondering whether to uninstall the hijacker, it installed on your Mac without explicit permission, modified your browser’s settings, and its main goal is to redirect you to sponsored web pages which may be hosting dangerous content. While the infection isn’t the most serious one, ConsoleProgram elimination is essential.
In order to guarantee the process is successful, it is recommended to use spyware removal software ConsoleProgram removal. The program would take care of the infection and guarantee it’s completely gone. Manual ConsoleProgram elimination is also possible, if you do everything correctly. You can alter your browser’s settings back to what they were after you remove ConsoleProgram.
Download Removal Toolto scan for ConsoleProgramUse our recommended removal tool to scan for ConsoleProgram. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like ConsoleProgram and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall ConsoleProgram and related programs.
Remove ConsoleProgram from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall ConsoleProgram from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete ConsoleProgram from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove ConsoleProgram from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for ConsoleProgram or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete ConsoleProgram from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase ConsoleProgram from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove ConsoleProgram from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall ConsoleProgram from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable ConsoleProgram and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.