What is DirectSportSearch
DirectSportSearch is a redirect virus that affects Macs, better known as a browser hijacker. Normally, hijackers aren’t harmful infections as their prime aim isn’t to cause problems. It’s not fully benign, however, since it aims to generate traffic and revenue by redirecting you to dubious pages. While hijackers use sly methods to install, they become instantly noticeable after. You’ll notice your browser acting in a bizarre way, like redirects to random web pages, search results filled with sponsored content, etc. Users who aren’t familiar with redirect viruses might not connect the bizarre behaviour with the infection. Employing a search engine to look into the signs or the redirect web page normally makes the situation obvious.
You will not only be redirected to odd sites, but your browser’s settings will also be modified. You’ll be redirected to a new homepage/new tabs when you launch your browser, and you may find it hard to cancel these changes. The main reason for those setting modifications is so the hijacker can redirect you.
Hijackers cannot install without needing your permission because they are not malware or viruses, even if many users call them that. It is users themselves that install them, even if they don’t do it purposely. The hijackers, as well as other infections like adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), use software bundling to install, which essentially is adding them to freeware as extra offers which may install alongside. It’s not difficult to avoid these undesirable installations, as long as you know how to do it, and we will clarify in the next section.
Uninstall DirectSportSearch as quickly as possible because while it’s not the most dangerous, it’s still an infection. In addition to disrupting your normal browsing, the hijacker will likely expose you to malware, scams and other really unreliable content.
Ways a hijacker installs
We have said this above, but freeware is usually the reason hijackers are able to install. Adding hijackers or akin infections to free programs is known as bundling programs. Program bundling is a quite frowned upon because while the items can install with the freeware, users don’t at first notice them. The installations aren’t complicated to stop, however, as long as you follow program installation processes and pay attention.
During free software installation, picking Advanced (Custom) settings is vital. You won’t notice the extra offers if you pick Default settings during installation. Advanced will permit you to uncheck everything, in addition to unhiding all offers. Unchecking those items will not allow them to install. By avoiding undesirable installations from the very beginning, you will not have to spend a long time uninstalling threats later on. We should also mention that if you pay attention when installing programs, your system won’t be cluttered with junk.
What does the hijacker do
After they install, redirect viruses take over browsers like Safari, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, and start redirecting to random pages, which makes them rather noticeable infections. The browser’s homepage and new tabs will be changed to a page advertised by the redirect virus, and whenever your browser is launched, that is the site you’ll see. Not only your homepage, but modifications to your search engine will also be made. When you perform a search through your browser address bar, the hijacker will redirect you to its promoted web page and show you modified search results. Be cautious of the sponsored content that will be inserted among legitimate results. Hijackers intend to redirect users to sponsored websites so that traffic and revenue can be generated. The off redirects make hijackers possibly damaging as well as irritating infections. Any kind of engagement with sponsored or advertisement content while the redirect virus is installed is not suggested. It’s rather possible that you could be led to dangerous websites because hijackers do not check the security of the websites. Those web pages could trick you into installing malicious software or falling for a scam. It is not a good idea to keep a hijacker installed because while they might not do direct damage to your device, they are not completely harmless.
We ought to also say that browser hijackers snoop on users, and collect information about what they search for, what content they engage with, web pages visited, their IP addresses, etc. It’s doubtful that you want the hijacker to spy on you, let alone allow it to share the data with unfamiliar third-parties.
Overall, the hijacker installed on your Mac without permission, made unnecessary browser setting modifications, started leading you to sponsored pages so as to generate revenue, and potentially subjected you to dubious content. Do not wait to uninstall DirectSportSearch even if it doesn’t seem like a serious threat.
Ways to uninstall DirectSportSearch from your Mac computer
It is highly suggested to use anti-spyware software to remove DirectSportSearch because that would be easiest. The program would take care of the infection and guarantee it is no longer present. You could try manual DirectSportSearch elimination, and as long as you know what you are doing that shouldn’t cause problems. If DirectSportSearch elimination is successful, you can modify your browser’s settings back to what they were.
Download Removal Toolto scan for DirectSportSearchUse our recommended removal tool to scan for DirectSportSearch. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like DirectSportSearch and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall DirectSportSearch and related programs.
Remove DirectSportSearch from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall DirectSportSearch from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete DirectSportSearch from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove DirectSportSearch from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for DirectSportSearch or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete DirectSportSearch from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase DirectSportSearch from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove DirectSportSearch from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall DirectSportSearch from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable DirectSportSearch and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.