What is Go.mail.ru
Go.mail.ru is a questionable website that is promoted by browser hijackers and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). The website promotes a questionable search engine that leads to dubious sites. It targets Russian-speaking users and aims redirect them to sponsored websites in order to generate traffic.
Browser hijackers are very common infections, but they are not serious. The hijacker itself isn’t malicious, but the changes it performs on a browser are certainly annoying. The hijacker will set Go.mail.ru as the homepage and search engine, which means it will be the first site you see when you open your browser. These changes will be irreversible while the hijacker is present on the computer. It should also be mentioned that while the hijacker isn’t harmful by itself, the sites that it leads to are a different story. If you interact with Go.mail.ru, you might be redirected to fraudulent or malicious websites, where you could accidentally download a serious malware infection.
You likely got the hijacker when you installed free software. Free software often comes with added items like adware, hijackers and PUPs. If the user is not paying attention to the freeware installation, he/she will likely not notice that anything is attached, thus allowing the items to install. This is a rather sneaky method, and it’s recommended to not install programs that are spread this way.
Before you remove Go.mail.ru from your browser, you need to get rid of the hijacker. That would be easiest with anti-spyware software.
How did Go.mail.ru hijacker install?
Like adware and PUPs, browser hijackers spread using the bundling method. They are essentially added to popular free software as additional offers, which are authorized to install automatically unless the user manually prevents them from doing so. If you want to stop these unwanted installations, you mainly need to pay attention to how you install free programs, particularly those you get from free download websites. Follow the installation process carefully and when given the option, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings. Attached items are usually hidden, but become visible in Advanced settings. If something is added, all you need to do is uncheck the boxes. After you have done that, you can continue with the installation.
Generally, it’s recommended to deselect all offers, as they are unlikely to be of any use to you. And since the method allows programs to sneak past users and install without explicit permission, software bundling is rather problematic.
What does Go.mail.ru do?
As soon as the browser hijacker installs, it will change your browser’s settings (whether you’re using Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) and set Go.mail.ru as your homepage. Your search engine will also be changed, so every time you search something, results will be shown on Go.mail.ru. These changes will be performed without user’s permission and will irreversible until the hijacker is removed from the device. Until then, your browser will load Go.mail.ru every time you open your browser.
Go.mail.ru does not differ much from other sites promoted by browser hijackers. It’s in Russian, has a search engine and does looks pretty harmless. While it may not cause suspicion in the beginning, once you use the search engine it becomes clear that something is not right. The results will be full of ads and they will look unreliable in general. Clicking on any of them is not recommended. In fact, using the search engine at all is a bad idea. Browser hijackers aim to redirect users to sponsored websites in order to generate traffic, and those sites usually have nothing to do with what you searched for. It could even redirect to phishing sites, tech-support scams, etc. The results are not checked, so you could end up on a safe site, or a dangerous one. If an infection is lurking in one of those sites, it could download onto your computer without you even noticing. Or you could be directed to a website that imitates a legitimate one, and if you do not notice signs of it being fake, your login credentials could be phished. Thus, while it seems like a hijacker is pretty minor infection, it can still cause a lot of trouble.
Another issue with browser hijackers is that they spy on users. They track what you search for, what sites you visit, what you interact with, etc. They can also obtain personal information like your IP address. While they should not have access to sensitive data, they’re still essentially spying on you. That data could later be sold to unknown third-parties.
There really is no reason why you should not delete Go.mail.ru. It’s not useful in any way, it puts your computer in danger and spies on you. The sooner you get rid of it, the better.
How to uninstall Go.mail.ru
There are two ways to uninstall Go.mail.ru. You can perform manual Go.mail.ru removal if you know what you are doing. Instructions will be provided below this report to help you if you are unsure about where to start. However, this method is not recommended unless you are absolutely certain about what you are doing as you could end up wasting your time.
If you have little experience with computers, you may want to rely on anti-spyware software. Using an automatic tool to remove Go.mail.ru is much easier as the program will do everything itself without your interference.
After the hijacker has been deleted, you will be able to change your browser’s settings. Change back your homepage, new tabs and search engine. In the future, be more careful about what you install and how you do it. This will help you avoid a lot of infections, which can be difficult to get rid of once they’re inside.
Download Removal Toolto scan for Go.mail.ruUse our recommended removal tool to scan for Go.mail.ru. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like Go.mail.ru and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall Go.mail.ru and related programs.
Remove Go.mail.ru from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall Go.mail.ru from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete Go.mail.ru from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove Go.mail.ru from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for Go.mail.ru or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete Go.mail.ru from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase Go.mail.ru from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove Go.mail.ru from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall Go.mail.ru from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable Go.mail.ru and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.