SearchThatMovie is a browser hijacker that targets Mac computers
SearchThatMovie is a redirect virus that affects Macs, also referred to as a browser hijacker. Since their prime aim is not system damage, they are classified as pretty minor infections. It isn’t benign, however, as it aims to generate traffic and profit and it will do that by redirecting you to pages of questionable nature. Hijackers install quite slyly but once they are in, they are quite noticeable infections. Your browser will start carrying out random redirects to sponsored websites, and you’ll notice sponsored content mixed in with your search results. Users who aren’t familiar with browser hijacker may not realize the strange behaviour points to the the infection. But because hijackers also alter the homepage to the page they’re advertising, all users need to do is google the page to find out they’re dealing with hijackers.
You’ll notice that your browser’s settings are changed without permission as well, in addition to the random redirects. Another homepage/new tabs will greet you when you launch your browser, and you might find it hard to reverse these changes. To be able to redirect you is why the hijacker performs those modifications.
Hijackers don’t just install by themselves as they aren’t malware or viruses, even if plenty users refer to them as that. It generally happens unknowingly to users, but they give consent for the hijacker to install themselves. The hijackers, among other pests like adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs), use software bundling to install, which is basically adding them to free software as extra offers allowing them to install alongside. However, there is a simple way to avoid these unnecessary offers from installing, and it will be explained in the next section of the report.
The sooner you eliminate SearchThatMovie, the better, even if it’s not a severe infection. Not only will it interrupt your usual browsing, malicious software, scams and other harmful content may be forced upon you.
SearchThatMovie Browser hijacker distribution ways
Browser hijackers install with freeware, as we have said above. They are often attached to known freeware as extra items, in a method referred to as program bundling. Users normally do not notice the offers but they are preselected to install together with the free software, which makes software bundling a frowned upon installation method. Preventing these undesirable installations ought to be pretty simple as long as you pay attention to how you install free programs.
The most important part when installing free programs is opting for Advanced (Custom) settings. Otherwise, the offers won’t be visible. Advanced will allow you to uncheck everything, as well as unhide all items. Simply deselecting the offers will be sufficient to prevent them from installing. Blocking undesirable offers from installing from the very beginning takes very little time, but it takes ages to erase already installed threats. You’ll be avoiding cluttering your computer with worthless junk if you pay attention to how you install programs.
Is the SearchThatMovie harmful
Since they hijack Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and other famous browsers, and then cause redirects to random sites, browser hijackers are instantly obvious. The browser’s homepage and new tabs will be changed to the hijacker’s advertised web page, and you’ll be redirected to it every single time you open your browser. Your search engine will also be changed. Every time you use your browser address bar for searches, you’ll be redirected to a site the hijacker is promoting and then get your search results. Sponsored content will be added among the legitimate results. The hijacker’s prime goal is generating traffic and revenue, which is why it redirects you to those sponsored web pages. This isn’t exactly safe, as well as highly aggravating. Until the hijacker is no longer present on your system, it’s not suggested to interact with any sponsored or advertisement content. Web pages you will be led to aren’t checked, therefore may be unsecure. One of those sponsored websites might be encouraging you to download dangerous malware or trying to trick you into participating in a scam. It is not a great idea to allow a hijacker to stay installed because while they might not be directly dangerous to your computer, don’t underestimate them.
The hijacker will also be recording what pages you visit, your searches, IP address, what content you interact with. Unknown third-parties could also get access to the information and use it for their own purposes.
To summarize, the hijacker installed on your Mac without authorization, made unwanted browser setting changes, began redirecting you to sponsored sites so as to make revenue, and displayed you possibly dubious content. While the infection isn’t the most serious one, SearchThatMovie removal is essential.
Ways you could delete SearchThatMovie from your Mac
It would be easiest to use anti-spyware software to uninstall SearchThatMovie. Using anti-spyware software to delete threats is easier since the software takes care of everything and guarantees the infection is no longer present. For users with experience in computers, manual SearchThatMovie elimination should not be complex. If you are successful in SearchThatMovie deletion, you should have no problems restoring your browser’s settings.
Download Removal Toolto scan for SearchThatMovieUse our recommended removal tool to scan for SearchThatMovie. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like SearchThatMovie and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall SearchThatMovie and related programs.
Remove SearchThatMovie from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall SearchThatMovie from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete SearchThatMovie from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove SearchThatMovie from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for SearchThatMovie or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete SearchThatMovie from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase SearchThatMovie from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove SearchThatMovie from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall SearchThatMovie from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable SearchThatMovie and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.