ClickMovieSearch is a Mac browser hijacker, also known as a redirect virus. Hijackers are not believed to be severe infections because they don’t cause serious issues to the system. Do bear in mind, however, that hijackers redirect you to suspicious sites so they could generate traffic and revenue, which is why they can be somewhat damaging. Despite the fact that hijackers install without users realizing it, their behaviour once installed is a dead giveaway. You will notice your browser behaving strangely, such as random redirects, sponsored content in search results, etc. For users who do not have the bare minimum knowledge about computer infections, the bizarre browser behaviour will not necessarily be a sign of an infection. But a simple search with google of the symptoms and the web page the redirects lead to would point to a hijacker being responsible.
You will notice that your browser’s settings are modified unauthorized as well, in addition to the random redirects. Every time you launch it, you browser will have another homepage/new tabs, and these modifications may temporarily be not possible to reverse. To redirect you is why the hijacker performs those alterations.
Hijackers cannot install by themselves as they are not malware or viruses, even if plenty users consider them as such. While users are generally not aware of this, but they install the hijackers themselves. Hijackers, and other infections such as adware and potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) come as extra offers added to free software, and together with the free software, users end up installing the added items as well. Continue to the proceeding section to find out how you can stop these undesirable installations next time you’re installing a program.
You should uninstall ClickMovieSearch, the quicker the better because it is still a computer infection, even if it’s not dangerous. Take into consideration that it could expose you to content that’s highly unsafe, including malicious programs and scams, in addition to your usual browsing being disrupted.
How are hijackers installed
Browser hijackers use freeware to install, as we have said above. They in a method referred to as bundling software, come added to free software as extra offers. The method is pretty questionable as the additional offers are set to install with the freeware but are covered from users. Blocking these not wanted installations ought to be quite simple if you are observant during freeware installation.
Advanced (Custom) settings are what you have to select during freeware installation. Otherwise, the offers will not be visible. Every offer will be unhidden in Advanced, and you shouldn’t have any problems deselecting it. Unchecking the boxes of those items will stop them from installing. It takes mere seconds to block these undesirable installations as you just have to unmark a box, while it is increasingly more time consuming to uninstall already installed threats. Another thing to take into consideration is that your computer will be clean and functioning smoothly if you actually take care when installing programs.
Is the hijacker dangerous
Signs of a redirect virus infection will become apparent immediately because your browsers (whether you’re using Safari, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox) will be hijacked, and you will be rerouted. It’ll change your homepage and new tabs to its promoted web page and you will be led to it every time your browser is launched. Your search engine will also be switched. If you search using your browser address bar, you will be automatically redirected to the page promoted by the hijacker and shown search results that have been altered. Because search results will contain sponsored content, they will have little to do with what you were searching for. Since the hijacker’s primary intent is to generate traffic and revenue, it redirects users to those sponsored web pages. Keep in mind that being randomly redirected to unfamiliar pages is not only annoying but may also be possibly harmful. Any kind of engagement with sponsored or advertisement content until you eliminate the hijacker isn’t recommended. Bear in mind that you could be led to unsafe websites because hijackers do not ensure that the web pages are secure. Malware or scams might be lurking on the sites you are redirected to. Hijackers aren’t particularly harmful but they shouldn’t be allowed to stay installed either.
It ought to also be said that browser hijackers spy on users, and compile various data related their searches, visited sites, IP address and more. Hijackers quite frequently share that information with unfamiliar third-parties, who use it for their own purposes.
In case you’re still questioning how harmful the hijacker is, let’s put all it does in a single sentence: it used sly installation ways to install on your Mac without you noticing, made not wanted browser’s setting changes, redirected you to suspicious websites and subjected you to content that is possibly damaging. Thus, do not wait to delete ClickMovieSearch.
For the simplest way to remove ClickMovieSearch, use anti-spyware programs. Anti-spyware program’s aim is to assist users in dealing with infections of this kind. It’s possible to uninstall ClickMovieSearch manually, if you understand how and make sure to remove all hijacker files. You’ll be able to restore your browser’s settings with no issues after ClickMovieSearch removal.
Download Removal Toolto scan for ClickMovieSearchUse our recommended removal tool to scan for ClickMovieSearch. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like ClickMovieSearch and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall ClickMovieSearch and related programs.
Remove ClickMovieSearch from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall ClickMovieSearch from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete ClickMovieSearch from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove ClickMovieSearch from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for ClickMovieSearch or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete ClickMovieSearch from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase ClickMovieSearch from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove ClickMovieSearch from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall ClickMovieSearch from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable ClickMovieSearch and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.