Identified by virus removal programs like Avast, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, AVG, Symantec as PowerSmash, it is an adware program that will display on your screen. Adware isn’t a severe infection you could get. While adware should not do damage to your system, it is a very annoying infection. Strange pop-ups, an increase in adverts, and redirects to questionable websites are the most noticeable adware signs. The adware program isn’t actually that harmful but its shown ads can expose you to content that might be harmful for your PC. Adware advertisements could expose you to tech-support scams, malware, and false giveaways.
Usually, adware uses software bundling to infect PCs. Infections like adware are attached to free software as additional offers, and are allowed to install alongside. Even if the offers are optional, many users end up installing them by accident, simply because they do not uncheck them. If you carry on reading, we’ll explain how you can avoid installing these unnecessary offers.
How is adware distributed
The bundling method is mostly used by adware to install on users’ PCs because no one would install it otherwise. By using software bundling, adware can install basically without users even knowing it, as it comes as an extra offer added to free programs. This method of installing is rather questionable, as the added offers are set to install by default and are not visible to users. In most cases, users miss those offers, which is what permits them to install.
When installing programs in the future, we encourage you to pay attention to what you are doing. During the installation process, when given the option, make sure you select Advanced (Custom) settings instead of Default. Advanced settings will disclose all hidden offers and you will be able to uncheck them.
Adware can expose to unsafe adverts
Adware might not seem like a severe infection compared to malicious infections, but don’t think of it as harmless. Once adware has adjoined itself to popular browsers you use (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox), you will begin seeing loads of advertisements. Adware generated advertisements you see in your browser are not exactly secure, so it’s highly recommended to not clicking on any while the device still has the infection. There are a couple you should lookout for the most. Adverts with potential to be the most damaging are tech-support scams asking users to call strange numbers, ads prompting users to install questionable applications and false updates, and fake “you’ve won” adverts. If you engage with these advertisements, you might suffer financial loss, malicious software infection, or your personal and financial data may be stolen.
Avast, Kaspersky, Symantec, Malwarebytes, AVG and other virus removal programs identify the infection as PowerSmash. If your device has anti-virus installed, it should be able to remove PowerSmash without issue.
How to eliminate PowerSmash
We highly recommend using spyware removal software for PowerSmash deletion, particularly if you do not have much experience with computers. It should be noted that adware may recover itself if you manually uninstall PowerSmash but do not get rid of certain files.
Download Removal Toolto scan for PowerSmashUse our recommended removal tool to scan for PowerSmash. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like PowerSmash and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall PowerSmash and related programs.
Remove PowerSmash from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall PowerSmash from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete PowerSmash from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove PowerSmash from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for PowerSmash or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete PowerSmash from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase PowerSmash from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove PowerSmash from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall PowerSmash from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable PowerSmash and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.