Detected by anti-virus software like Avast, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, AVG, Symantec as FilterIdea, it’s an adware program whose principal purpose is to show advertisements on your screen. This is not a serious infection, in comparison to malicious software. It will cause trouble for you but it should not directly damage your PC. Adware clues normally include an increase in questionable pop-ups and advertisements, as well as redirects to weird sites. The adware program may not be damaging to your computer but its shown adverts can expose you to content that could be damaging for your computer. Advertisements displayed by adware might expose you to tech-support scams, malicious software, and fake giveaways.
The infection commonly installs through free program bundles. Free software commonly comes with adware added to it as an additional offer, which allows it to install alongside. Even if the offers aren’t mandatory, most users install them by accident, simply because they do not deselect them. The following paragraph of the report will explain how you can stop these unnecessary installations, so we advise reading it meticulously.
Adware spread methods
Since adware would not be installed by users otherwise, it uses software bundling to spread. Basically, adware is added to freeware as an additional offer, and during the freeware’s installation process, users unknowingly install the adware as well. This method of distribution is rather controversial, as the adjoined offers are preselected by default and concealed from users. Most users end up not noticing those offers when installing free software because they are paying insufficient attention.
It is important to attentively follow the process when installing free software. When the option is given to you, opt for Advanced (Custom) settings and not Default. Those settings will show everything that’s been adjoined, and you’ll have the option of unchecking them.
Is adware damaging
Adware itself isn’t especially dangerous, but while it should not do direct damage to the PC, it’s not harmless either. If adware becomes adjoined to major browsers you use (Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox), an increase in adverts will be very obvious. We strongly recommend you avoid clicking on adverts while the computer is infected with malware, as they could be unsafe. Be on the lookout for a couple of especially unsafe types of ads. Ads pressuring you into calling tech-support (tech-support scams), ones claiming you have won a prize, or adverts advertising suspicious applications and updates are just a couple of examples. Tech-support scams aim to get your money, installing false updates frequently leads to malware infections, and fake giveaways want to steal your sensitive information.
Anti-virus programs such as Avast, Kaspersky, Symantec, Malwarebytes, and AVG detect the adware as FilterIdea. If your PC is protected by virus removal programs, it should be able to remove FilterIdea without issue.
Ways to erase FilterIdea
If you have no experience with systems, using anti-virus software to eliminate FilterIdea may be best. You could try to erase FilterIdea manually but adware may recover if any leftovers remain.
Download Removal Toolto scan for FilterIdeaUse our recommended removal tool to scan for FilterIdea. Trial version of WiperSoft provides detection of computer threats like FilterIdea and assists in its removal for FREE. You can delete detected registry entries, files and processes yourself or purchase a full version.
WiperSoft Review Details WiperSoft (www.wipersoft.com) is a security tool that provides real-time security from potential threats. Nowadays, many users tend to download free software from the Intern ...
Is MacKeeper a virus? MacKeeper is not a virus, nor is it a scam. While there are various opinions about the program on the Internet, a lot of the people who so notoriously hate the program have neve ...
While the creators of MalwareBytes anti-malware have not been in this business for long time, they make up for it with their enthusiastic approach. Statistic from such websites like CNET shows that th ...
Step 1. Uninstall FilterIdea and related programs.
Remove FilterIdea from Windows 8
Right-click in the lower left corner of the screen. Once Quick Access Menu shows up, select Control Panel choose Programs and Features and select to Uninstall a software.
Uninstall FilterIdea from Windows 7
Click Start → Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a program.
Delete FilterIdea from Windows XP
Click Start → Settings → Control Panel. Locate and click → Add or Remove Programs.
Remove FilterIdea from Mac OS X
Click Go button at the top left of the screen and select Applications. Select applications folder and look for FilterIdea or any other suspicious software. Now right click on every of such entries and select Move to Trash, then right click the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
Step 2. Delete FilterIdea from your browsers
Terminate the unwanted extensions from Internet Explorer
- Tap the Gear icon and go to Manage Add-ons.
- Pick Toolbars and Extensions and eliminate all suspicious entries (other than Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Oracle or Adobe)
- Leave the window.
Change Internet Explorer homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap the gear icon (menu) on the top right corner of your browser and click Internet Options.
- In General Tab remove malicious URL and enter preferable domain name. Press Apply to save changes.
Reset your browser
- Click the Gear icon and move to Internet Options.
- Open the Advanced tab and press Reset.
- Choose Delete personal settings and pick Reset one more time.
- Tap Close and leave your browser.
- If you were unable to reset your browsers, employ a reputable anti-malware and scan your entire computer with it.
Erase FilterIdea from Google Chrome
- Access menu (top right corner of the window) and pick Settings.
- Choose Extensions.
- Eliminate the suspicious extensions from the list by clicking the Trash bin next to them.
- If you are unsure which extensions to remove, you can disable them temporarily.
Reset Google Chrome homepage and default search engine if it was hijacker by virus
- Press on menu icon and click Settings.
- Look for the “Open a specific page” or “Set Pages” under “On start up” option and click on Set pages.
- In another window remove malicious search sites and enter the one that you want to use as your homepage.
- Under the Search section choose Manage Search engines. When in Search Engines..., remove malicious search websites. You should leave only Google or your preferred search name.
Reset your browser
- If the browser still does not work the way you prefer, you can reset its settings.
- Open menu and navigate to Settings.
- Press Reset button at the end of the page.
- Tap Reset button one more time in the confirmation box.
- If you cannot reset the settings, purchase a legitimate anti-malware and scan your PC.
Remove FilterIdea from Mozilla Firefox
- In the top right corner of the screen, press menu and choose Add-ons (or tap Ctrl+Shift+A simultaneously).
- Move to Extensions and Add-ons list and uninstall all suspicious and unknown entries.
Change Mozilla Firefox homepage if it was changed by virus:
- Tap on the menu (top right corner), choose Options.
- On General tab delete malicious URL and enter preferable website or click Restore to default.
- Press OK to save these changes.
Reset your browser
- Open the menu and tap Help button.
- Select Troubleshooting Information.
- Press Refresh Firefox.
- In the confirmation box, click Refresh Firefox once more.
- If you are unable to reset Mozilla Firefox, scan your entire computer with a trustworthy anti-malware.
Uninstall FilterIdea from Safari (Mac OS X)
- Access the menu.
- Pick Preferences.
- Go to the Extensions Tab.
- Tap the Uninstall button next to the undesirable FilterIdea and get rid of all the other unknown entries as well. If you are unsure whether the extension is reliable or not, simply uncheck the Enable box in order to disable it temporarily.
- Restart Safari.
Reset your browser
- Tap the menu icon and choose Reset Safari.
- Pick the options which you want to reset (often all of them are preselected) and press Reset.
- If you cannot reset the browser, scan your whole PC with an authentic malware removal software.
2-remove-virus.com is not sponsored, owned, affiliated, or linked to malware developers or distributors that are referenced in this article. The article does not promote or endorse any type of malware. We aim at providing useful information that will help computer users to detect and eliminate the unwanted malicious programs from their computers. This can be done manually by following the instructions presented in the article or automatically by implementing the suggested anti-malware tools.
The article is only meant to be used for educational purposes. If you follow the instructions given in the article, you agree to be contracted by the disclaimer. We do not guarantee that the artcile will present you with a solution that removes the malign threats completely. Malware changes constantly, which is why, in some cases, it may be difficult to clean the computer fully by using only the manual removal instructions.